Blown head gaskets - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Blown head gaskets

So today I tee'd into the one line going to the degas bottle. I ran the truck normally for a little while with virtually no pressure building up. Then I did a pull fro 30-70 and the psi jumped from 0-7 then did it again 7-15... Then the pressure stays at 15 did not come down at all. I did notice there was coolant being pushed up to the gauge I ran into the cab. I'm assuming that is normal. However the fact it built 16 psi and maintained it the whole time seems odd. I always heard people saying it should climb quickly then dissipate some. This just builds and holds the pressure. So looks like I'm f*****. Any opinions on my findings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Blown head gaskets

I'll bet if you did another long wot run it'd push a little coolant out. Mine are so bad now that it will build 15 psi with a few minutes of idle time (cold start) It pushes a little coolant out if I did a quick 0-40 run at about 3/4 throttle. I release the pressure after shut down because im afraid it's gonna blow an end tank on the radiator. Tons of pressure in the system. It's coming apart week after next.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Great, now i need to figure out where to pull $4000 out of thin air..

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:31 AM
JGman141

Where are you located?

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Where are you located?
I'm in Lebanon, PA
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:05 PM
PSN Veteran

If you want to drive to new england i'll do them for you lol

On a more serious note, you can do them yourself and save some money. I did some serious shopping around for parts and i found all the parts i need for about 1000$. That included the gaskets, studs, egr delete, and some other stuff (turbo boot, cat delete pipe, and other little things). I'm sure there will be some other small things that come up but that is the brunt of it.

Providing heads arent cracked, my local machine shop said 240$ to magnaflux, mill, and clean and pressure check. If i need to valves/seats he said 480$. I just hope the heads arent cracked..

I am doing it myself because i do this for a living, but if you dont feel comfortable doing this or dont have proper tools i wouldnt try it. I'll be pulling the cab on mine.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:21 PM
PSN Local

I'm new to the nation. I would recommend getting those heads o-ringed. Head gaskets are a big job. Cutting corners leads to more then 1 repair
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:30 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriggs22 View Post
So today I tee'd into the one line going to the degas bottle. I ran the truck normally for a little while with virtually no pressure building up. Then I did a pull fro 30-70 and the psi jumped from 0-7 then did it again 7-15... Then the pressure stays at 15 did not come down at all. I did notice there was coolant being pushed up to the gauge I ran into the cab. I'm assuming that is normal. However the fact it built 16 psi and maintained it the whole time seems odd. I always heard people saying it should climb quickly then dissipate some. This just builds and holds the pressure. So looks like I'm f*****. Any opinions on my findings?
It holds the pressure because the cap relief valve is relieving and then closing.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 04:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench4alivin View Post
I'm new to the nation. I would recommend getting those heads o-ringed. Head gaskets are a big job. Cutting corners leads to more then 1 repair
Not really necessary unless he is running larger injectors IMO. A properly prepped head job with studs will last.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I thought about doing the head gaskets and studs myself, however i am not a mechanic by trade and have not dug into an engine before. The most i have ever done is basic maintenance and repairs. Swapping transmissions, installing manual trans clutches, installing a lift kit on my old truck and things like this. I learned quite a bit from my uncle and grandfather as they own there own shop. They don't do diesel work however, which is my predicament. I am not afraid to turn a wrench by any means. Its more or so the fear of the unknown. I have watched tons of videos on this 6.0 head gasket install. I would be doing mine with the cab on. As i do not want to tie up my grandfathers only post lift. As it will take more then one weekend to do because of getting the heads checked out. And knowing my luck they will be cracked and warped. I am on the fence of just buying 2 new heads for $1800. So all i need to to do is clean and check the deck and flop on the new heads....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode