Blown EGR cooler? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Blown EGR cooler?

I'm pretty sure this is a blown egr cooler. Let me know what you experts think. I cleaned the vlave 6000 miles ago. Did not really notice a loss in coolant back has not been to long since I found a hole in my coolant tank.

Currently in process of installing MBRP 5" turbo back exhaust.

6.0 115000 miles
SCT live wire ID ECONOMY/extreme street
Stock.. :/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.9 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Re: Blown EGR cooler?

that picture is no real indicator
a slightly gooey substance is normal

usually you want to park it nose down for the night then look for an accumulation of coolant

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I did have the rear jacked up about 1-2 feet for about 2 hours before i pulled the valve. I was told that this should be very dry and not wet/shinny. But my source could be wrong. Also i am 99% sure i have blown head gaskets... Anyway looks like ill be deleting the EGR system in the next few months hopefully. Is there any way to delete the valve and still allow the fan to operate correctly?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:18 PM
PSN Veteran

Mine looks like that (maybe not as wet) and it has never lost a drop of coolant. Never smoked, either.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Jackleg Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriggs22 View Post
I did have the rear jacked up about 1-2 feet for about 2 hours before i pulled the valve. I was told that this should be very dry and not wet/shinny. But my source could be wrong. Also i am 99% sure i have blown head gaskets... Anyway looks like ill be deleting the EGR system in the next few months hopefully. Is there any way to delete the valve and still allow the fan to operate correctly?
leave the valve laying on top of the motor and leave it plugged in. That'll solve the fan problem.

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 11:47 PM
Administrator

agreed
if you have the fan issue that is the fix

and agreed the oily soot is what I have seen as normal

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:02 AM
whistle tits

Even better than leaving the valve laying there, you can bolt it to the back of the cast intake elbow. There is a threaded hole already there (same size bolt as the egr valve). The valve will sit directly above where it was in the intake, looks clean, and still plugs in, no check engine light, and fan clutch operates like it should.

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 03:26 AM
Administrator

nice

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 05:08 AM
Banned

if you think you have cooler issues i would do a head pressure test.that soot really looks to be too wet.i personally think that you have other problems and if caught now could save you money per say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode