Bullet Proof VK688 Kit - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Bullet Proof VK688 Kit

I recently had the new Bullet Proof Diesel VK688 kit installed and WOW what an incredible setup!

The entire staff at BPD is second to none (Even Pinky! Lol) and I would like to encourage anyone that has need to fix their 6.0 woes to get off the fence and get your truck scheduled to come visit BPD! Myself and the two people (Glen and his brother) who were there to give me a ride home were also lucky enough to get a full guided tour by none other than Ken the owner who is a great down to earth guy. The shop and all the work areas are clean and organized as well as exceptionally well thought out. We were also impressed with the amount of onsite machining and manufacturing that was being done. 3-4 CNCís and a couple of high tech lathes were all busy! I was kept informed of the progress every step of the way (Including pictures) and was given options on how to proceed without any pressure.

I am the type of person that now prefers to keep the replacement parts that I put on my truck as OE as possible. For instance when I replaced the original brake pads at 94,000 miles I went with the Motorcraft replacements. In addition to all the filters and the new thermostat I even use the Motorcraft batteries. For this reason and BPDís reputation, I was really put at ease with the choice to run this relocation kit on my baby (2006 F350 DRW Towing Pig)

This kit allows me to keep the OE oil filter and sensors while making the oil cooler incredibly easy to access in case I need to replace it. The quality of the components is off the chart and it all works together very well. I have been driving it for the last few weeks to get a feel for it and it is so nice to be able to look at my deltas and not lift the throttle. I havenít taken the toyhauler out for a run up and down the hills yet as I had intended but it will happen soon. If there are any pluses or minuses that I encounter I will update this thread.
If you have any questions about this I will be glad to answer them. Here is a link to the BPD site and this kit in particular. Coolant-to-Liquid Oil Coolers

I am posting this on several of the forums I frequent to get the word out there, feel free to share on any of your local or national forums that I am not on.

2006 F350 Lariat Tow Boss W/training wheels.

SCT W/GH's tunes, ARP's, Blk & Heads milled, Strictly RR and aux coolant lines, 6" Aussies, Snow MPG-Max, BPD: VK688,EGR, W/Pump, and FICM, Coolant filt, Train Horns, CTS (Monitor only) + Autometer backups

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Muley 9-25-09
Keep on Honkin' Jerry 04-05-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Re: Bullet Proof VK688 Kit

I have mine ready to go and I am super excited to get it on

I have also decided to recondition the turbo bearings and all while I have it apart

the kit looks extraordinary and is exactly what I was after

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:47 PM
Administrator

what you say about OEM is how I feel also and why this kit is appealing to me

and I did my front OEM pads and Rotors at 100k the rotors didn't even need to be turned but I had the new ones in hand
i have all the rears ( pads and rotors ready to go on also thanks to Sunrise Ford I had to throw some Autozone pads on at one time due to oil contamination and those pads ate the rotors and made 2x more dust

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:00 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Where does it actually mount the cooler?

I can understand the desire to stay OEM, but for the same price, why not just get their remote cooler and be done with it?

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Hi Scott, long time no see. Yes, you will love the way it looks and performs!

The cooler mounts behind the passenger side battery and looks like it belongs there. As far as going air to oil vs. Coolant to oil, I just like the idea of keeping it original.

I am working on pictures before and after.

2006 F350 Lariat Tow Boss W/training wheels.

SCT W/GH's tunes, ARP's, Blk & Heads milled, Strictly RR and aux coolant lines, 6" Aussies, Snow MPG-Max, BPD: VK688,EGR, W/Pump, and FICM, Coolant filt, Train Horns, CTS (Monitor only) + Autometer backups

RIP Muley 9-25-09
Keep on Honkin' Jerry 04-05-10
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedSD View Post
Where does it actually mount the cooler?

I can understand the desire to stay OEM, but for the same price, why not just get their remote cooler and be done with it?

6speed
from what I gather BPD agrees with your thinking and from my understanding it is why they sat on this option for so long
but I and Dan and many others would like to keep it OEM or as close as possible and I did not want the down time with the AC evacuation and recharge
plus I was not looking forward to messing with the coolers (RAD/PS/ETC
since I had just replaced all that not long ago

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 08:25 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

I can understand that I guess. It really does fit nicely over there though.

There are so many filter/reroute/delete options for these friggen things that the underhood is starting to look like a cobbled up mess! Takes 3 hours worth of removing hoses/lines/brackets just to get to anything important.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedSD View Post
the underhood is starting to look like a cobbled up mess! Takes 3 hours worth of removing hoses/lines/brackets just to get to anything important.
could be much worse

it could be a 6.7

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

I almost used that as an example.....

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 09:18 PM
PSN Veteran

They finally released it because IPR Research was taking a huge slice of their business with their kit.

06' F250 Harley Davidson Edition(Factory 2.5" lift)CCSB-blue sping kit, ARP, gaskets up, Driven Diesel Coolant Return, Sinister Diesel Coolant filter, Rotella ELC, SCT X4, 55gal Aluminum Fuel tank, B & W turnover. ...Hauling New RV's daily.
02' F250 687,000 miles towing...traded to friend for a boat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode