bubble test on degas bottle - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Offroad Bound

bubble test on degas bottle

what ive got is a 2006 F250 that ive owned for about 3 years now has cat cut out and bigger exhaust from the previous owner been a solid truck till about 7 months ago I was having issues with the egr clogging up so I purchased a RCD egr delete kit and new oil cooler and updated STC fitting and sent the ecm off to php and got there rollback and 60hp tow tune with egr delete added and also added a sinister diesel coolant filter kit. few months after getting the truck back on the road I finally had to tow a car trailer and PT cruiser which anytime I had to pull a hill the trucks would go from about 25 psi to 0 on dash boost guage and the turbo would go silent if I let off the pedal and get back on it a time or two the boost would come back up for a bit till I hit another hill then would drop out again but without a load truck seems to run fine, now I noticed a few months back it almost looked like steam coming from the exhaust when I would start it up and let it idle so I thought I it be head gasket issue's so I parked the truck till I had some extra money to throw at it which brings me to now lol so I seen somewhere that you can test for bubbles on your degas tank to check head gaskets and this is what I got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YcPTxEOZmY

guessing that the head gaskets are bad???

2006 F250
RCD EGR Delete
Sinister Coolant Filter
PHP 60hp Tow Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Re: bubble test on degas bottle

a far easier test and a test you can watch under actual load
is put a psi gauge on the line(tee) to the deags and tape to the window

the warm it up and do some WOT runs

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Offroad Bound

so is the bubbles im getting normal or is there supposed to be no bubbles present at all, seems if there is any bubble your getting combustion gas pushed into a coolant passage, I can round up a gauge but don't really wanna run the truck any more then necessary to minimize any chance of cracking a head from coolant.

2006 F250
RCD EGR Delete
Sinister Coolant Filter
PHP 60hp Tow Tune

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Administrator

sorry i didn't watch the video i did not realize it was your truck

I have never done that test so i would only venture to guess that making bubbles is a bad thing

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 12:58 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Holy run on sentence batman! Geez....

But yes as Z said, tee into the line with a gauge, and drive the piss out of it. Anything over 16psi and you gots problems.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 10:05 PM
I Just Break Stuff

Hmmm.... blown gaskets or not.... that has nothing to do with turbo boost falling off under load. I would check my boots... especially the turbo outlet boot. They like to split on the inside where ya can't quite see. Also check your up pipes. They like to blow out the bellows.

06 f250 cc Lariat
4 inch Turbo Back
EGR Delete by FCDP
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Full billet Tranny
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous
IPR Oil Cooler Relocation kit
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Offroad Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by irontx25 View Post
Hmmm.... blown gaskets or not.... that has nothing to do with turbo boost falling off under load. I would check my boots... especially the turbo outlet boot. They like to split on the inside where ya can't quite see. Also check your up pipes. They like to blow out the bellows.
thanks for the reply.....yea that was the next issue i was going to pursue after after the "bubble" ordeal weird thing is when the boost falls off there's no sound or air leaking somewhere the turbo just goes quiet if that makes sense

2006 F250
RCD EGR Delete
Sinister Coolant Filter
PHP 60hp Tow Tune
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:16 PM
I Just Break Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinGuru View Post
thanks for the reply.....yea that was the next issue i was going to pursue after after the "bubble" ordeal weird thing is when the boost falls off there's no sound or air leaking somewhere the turbo just goes quiet if that makes sense
Yeah it does. Like its not spooling. Check your up pipes. Have someone power brake it whilst ya have a look under the hood.

06 f250 cc Lariat
4 inch Turbo Back
EGR Delete by FCDP
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Full billet Tranny
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous
IPR Oil Cooler Relocation kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode