03 6.0 smoking missing and has slight knock - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Exclamation 03 6.0 smoking missing and has slight knock

Today I noticed my truck smoking at idle. It was dark but appeared to be black or maybe blue. It smelled kinda like diesel or maybe oil it was hard to tell. It was idling a little funny also. I unhooked the battery's and let it sit for about an hour. Hooked them back up and it was hard to start and the smoke came back but twice as bad. Was smoking so bad couldn't hardly see the truck. Going down the road it had the power it always had and smoke kinda went away and then it started to have a knock in it when I let of the throttle. When I got home it was still smoking very badly and when I shut it off it made a loud clunking noise and the truck shook. It fired right back up and had a slight knock at first but would come out of it and again when I shut it off it made a loud clunk like it stopped all of a sudden. It may have a very slight miss at idle. I hooked my programer up to it and got the codes p0266 p0284 p0603. The truck has new oil cooler and egr delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 04:00 AM
whistle tits

Re: 03 6.0 smoking missing and has slight knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash23k View Post
Today I noticed my truck smoking at idle. It was dark but appeared to be black or maybe blue. It smelled kinda like diesel or maybe oil it was hard to tell. It was idling a little funny also. I unhooked the battery's and let it sit for about an hour. Hooked them back up and it was hard to start and the smoke came back but twice as bad. Was smoking so bad couldn't hardly see the truck. Going down the road it had the power it always had and smoke kinda went away and then it started to have a knock in it when I let of the throttle. When I got home it was still smoking very badly and when I shut it off it made a loud clunking noise and the truck shook. It fired right back up and had a slight knock at first but would come out of it and again when I shut it off it made a loud clunk like it stopped all of a sudden. It may have a very slight miss at idle. I hooked my programer up to it and got the codes p0266 p0284 p0603. The truck has new oil cooler and egr delete
Iirc, those codes are for cylinders 4 and 6, and the po603 is from unhooking the batteries or running a tuner.

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So are those injectors bad? Would two bad injectors make it smoke that badly and still have power. It doesn't seem to have a miss going down the road. Would those injectors make the knocking sound. Or could it be the ficm?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 02:16 PM
whistle tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash23k View Post
So are those injectors bad? Would two bad injectors make it smoke that badly and still have power. It doesn't seem to have a miss going down the road. Would those injectors make the knocking sound. Or could it be the ficm?
I'd bet on the injectors

1997 F350 SRW CCLB 7.3 ZF5 4x4
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So I let the truck all day plugged it. The outside temp was -11 this morning and got up to 22. I dumped some injector cleaner in the tank along with some 911. It fired right up and idled perfect no smoke no miss. Once the high idle kicked in the smoke started but not as bad. Took it for a test truck the truck seemed to run better and the it started missing and smoking goin down the road. Turned around and headed home and it died going down the road. After a few minutes it fired back up but had a miss and smoking. Got it home and at idle it misses and smoke but around 1500 rpm it smooths out and the smoke goes away. Checked the codes and this time I got, p0284, p0336, p0341, u0160, p2614

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode