A few questions... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

A few questions...

just picked up an 03 6.0 f350 over the weekend, for one heck of a deal. Motor is fully bullet proofed, and has a Garett powermax 63mm and new 205cc injectors. Plus some 35" Mickey Thompson Baja mtz brand new! Lol, but anyways I was playing around with the sct and decided to check for any stored DTC's, sure enough I had a fault for every injector, cylinder 1 contribution/balance, something regaurding KAM, and a glow plug open circuit. Cleared the codes out and by the time I got home from work only the p0263 cylinder 1 contribution code and the glow plug fault came back so far. I didn't write down any of the codes for the injectors at first, hoping I don't see them again since these injectors only have 300 or so miles on them... Truck runs just fine, no rough idle or miss, so I'm wondering what my next step should be? Also, does anyone run a similar set up to the one on this truck? What kind of power are you seeing? The guy I bought it from had some big claims, I'm just curious lol. I think I'm going to take it for a dyno tune and see for myself, and I'd feel a lot better having a good tune, running some sort of custom sct tune now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: A few questions...

No one? None of the codes came back except the p0263 and the glow plug code. Could extreme cold temps do it? It's been nasty cold this week, sub zero without wind chill for most.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 11:51 PM
PSN Local

could be you have a tiny bit of stiction going on. the other possibility is that 1 injector just wasn't lucky fresh out of the box. I had a set overhauled by a reputable source. He ran them on the bench and they were great. Unfortunately when we put them on the truck, I had 1 that had a dead miss from the first time. I ended up taking it to a mechanic to check my work, when he ran a cyl contribution test they were all over [email protected]#$ half acre. We sent them back for a checkup, waiting to see what he finds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Greatttt, I'm going to have a contribution test done this weekend. Like I said it runs flawlessly, starts up great, so idk. I'm working on finding out who rebuilt and modified the injectors, the receipt the previous owner gave me just says they were removed to have modified to 205cc and that two injectors needed overhauled. After work tonight when I got off its -13 without wind chill, truck wasn't plugged in all day but it fired first try just idled a little funny for about 20 seconds then it was fine, I'm just guessing that's because of the extreme cold though. I'm going to order some of that rev x, I read about it all over here haha. Maybe that with a fresh oil change will help.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:28 AM
PSN Local

a good quality synthetic 5w-40 oil is factory approved for four seasons severe service including all towing and generally helps with smooth starting

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

That'll be what I pick up! I have read a lot of great reviews on these additives. Im just curious, if I spend another $65 in additive plus the oil and filter, does this increase the service interval on that oil change? I hope! Haha
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:57 AM
PSN Local

Generally guys who sample their oil have found the biggest issue is that because it's also used as hydraulic fluid the chemistry that gives it it's viscosity breaks down. What no one has really answered is whether it bottoms out at some point and stabilizes, or if it just continues to get thinner and thinner. It would be interesting if all the other sample parameters were good to see what adding a bottle or two of STP would do the viscosity. then again the other question is what is the minimum viscosity that is acceptable, as long as it is still over that whether it has Sheared is not relevant. if by adding a pint or two of STP at the 5000 mile mark would give a person another three or four thousand miles it would certainly reduce the cost of oil changes a person would have to sample and see how it went

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode