NV271 transfer case issue - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

NV271 transfer case issue

Hey guys, I've been chasing down a driveline vibration for quite some time now and I think it finally showed itself. The output shaft seal on the transfer case is leaking and there is some lateral play in the shaft. After looking at parts explosion it looks like there is a needle bearing in the extension housing. Just curious how many of you guys have changed this bearing out for play in output shaft and seal leakage? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: NV271 transfer case issue

no one else has seen this problem i suppose.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 AM
PSN Local

229,500 and counting. I haven't had that problem yet. how is the oil level in the case?

03 Excursion, Banks turbo back, K&N intake, SCT sf2, Scangauge 2, 285/70R17 on Eagle alloys, purchased June '10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

It is fine. I changed it about 15k miles ago with synthetic ATF. This truck has had a strange driveline vibration for a long time that i could not figure out at 70+, felt worst at 75. NOTHING is felt at all before this speed. I road forced all the tires, replaced all U joints and had driveshaft balanced on competition balancer. Running truck on lift it can be felt in center bearing and back of T/case. Its transmitting to truck via the carrier bearing. There is zero play in this bearing and rubber. I have never noticed play in the output shaft of the T/case before recently. Maybe finally showed itself?

I'm going to pull the extension housing off the T case and change the bearing and seal. I'll post back after i fix it. I just hope the ball bearing in the case is still good i dont feel like overhauling it right now.

Oh, and current mileage is 181,000
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Im just curious, but is it possible for the carrier bearing rubber to be TOO tight not dampening any vibration? I cannot move the shaft at all. This would be a first for a failure like this that i have seen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode