Letting run due to sitting during week question? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Letting run due to sitting during week question?

Ok so I've asked many and getting different responses in regards to letting my truck just run at idle for 30 minutes or so due to it does not get driven until the weekend. Any suggestions on the best way of doing this besides driving it? Will letting it run help and keep batteries charged? What's the benefits and downfalls to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 06:01 PM
PSN Local

Re: Letting run due to sitting during week question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
letting my truck just run at idle for 30 minutes or so due to it does not get driven until the weekend.
Please clarify this statement.

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 06:04 PM
PSN Local

Best bet is to put a battery minder on it for the batteries
Next step would be to upgrade your alt to a high output unit
That's all for the electrical. As far as the rest if when you do drive it it gets up to temp for a good period of time you should be fine--if not you will be needing turbo service more often--imo.

2006 F350 4X4 CAB CHASSIS w/ Truck Bed
Blue Spring, Mishimoto tstat

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks buddy. I will be looking into upgrading alt and battery minder.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michipicoten_SuperDuty View Post
Please clarify this statement.
I don't drive my truck Mon through Friday. Only on the weekend. Maybe once a week. I work 65 miles one way so I use my beater for that. So while while it's sitting those days is it ok if I were to start it and let it run in my yard for 30 minutes and then shut off?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:13 PM
PursuitInterceptor

Battery tender and good batteries would be best. An alternator isn't going to charge crappy batteries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:18 PM
DILLIGAF

Drive it to work on Wednesday.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 12:25 AM
PSN Local

Yep not having good batteries is like polishing a turd lol.
the one think with these trucks are they like to be driven. If they sit a lot you will end up with more repair bills then one that is driven daily. I actually bought mine for a commuter (seems strange) but it's been great and I'm a lifer with this one.

2006 F350 4X4 CAB CHASSIS w/ Truck Bed
Blue Spring, Mishimoto tstat
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 AM
Wyo
scouts out...

I don't idle mine long at all. Now I will use my high idle mod and let it run all winter. So during the summer once a week I usually let it run for an hour or two(high idle) just to keep everything fresh.

2007 CC, Lariat, 6.0L, TreadWright guard dogs, straight piped out the back, egr delete, blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, high idle mod(bcp), bulletproofed, SCT Livewire TS with Drews street runner(under development for high elevation), Innovative, and Vivian's tunes, ww2.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 01:04 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
I don't drive my truck Mon through Friday. Only on the weekend. Maybe once a week. I work 65 miles one way so I use my beater for that. So while while it's sitting those days is it ok if I were to start it and let it run in my yard for 30 minutes and then shut off?
Dude, you're in the exact same boat as I am! I drive 61 miles one way (2009 Jetta TDI for that trip). Yep, I'll drive mine on the weekends to keep it fresh if I'm in town. Next week it will sit for a month or so.

Anyway, letting it idle without driving is not good for anything. It doesn't even really charge the batteries because the alternator isn't spinning fast enough. It's bad for the engine because first of all it gunks up the turbo, the fuel doesn't combust like it's supposed to (cold cylinder walls), and cold oil and bearing journals accelerate wear.

Oh yes, and it wastes fuel.

This is the battery tender I have: Waterproof 800 - 12V @ 800 mA - USA & Western Hemisphere I have it mounted with double-sided sticky tape on the fender well next to the passenger side battery. I have the cord routed out next to the block heater cord. I love that thing. I've let the truck sit for over a month before and it fired right up. Also, it costs hardly anything to keep plugged in all the time. It costs about what a 7W night light costs to power.

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode