6.0 gets to temp and dies wont retstart bad hpop? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.0 gets to temp and dies wont retstart bad hpop?

I have a 2006 f350 6.0 with 270k miles, regular oil changes kept up on maintenance. I put new injectors in about a year and a half ago and just started to get signs of stiction. I tried rev x and hot shot on 2 separate oil changes and that seemed to help but not fix the studdering and random miss fire. No codes appeared. So i saw people taking injectors apart to clean them and the spool valves so i followed the instructions and videos got it back together and it ran great at idle till it got warm then miss fired bad and died. Icp wouldnt build so i knew i had a leak. I put all new injector orings in, updated stand pipes and dummy plugs, then tried again same thing so i replaced the stc with the updated one piece and ipr because it was original and i didnt feel like pulling the turbo again so it was a piece of mind that it was done. New orings for the hpop feed and where the stc sits. New turbo drain tube, and same thing gets to about 110 degrees and the icp starts slowly dropping then missfires then dies and only builds 120 psi right after it dies. I tried a new icp sensor to no avail. After it shut off the last time i air tested it and i hear a gurgling under the turbo nothing under the oil rails. So before i bite the bullet and order a new pump i wanted to see if theres anything else i should look at. I have replaced everything i can think of with the hpop system and nothing. As far as i know the pump is original please help ive been without a truck for over a month and have no idea what to do

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:48 AM
Banned

Re: 6.0 gets to temp and dies wont retstart bad hpop?

You need to do an air test and if you don't have a scanner you can do it this way.If you don't have jumper harness for ipr get that first.you then make or get you a fitting to screw in to the hpo rail.Once you apply air and apply 12 volts to the ipr you will fined your leak you can pm if you have any problems and i will do what i can to help.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:26 AM
PSN Local

The gurgling under the turbo is most likely because you didn't force the IPR close. So when you air tested it blew the oil out through the IPR and into the crank case.
Get it hot again and do the test while forcing the IPR closed. Also take the oil filter cap off and see if any bubbles appear during the air test. Its possible you have a bad hpop and also possible that you sanded too much on the spool valves. Both of these can cause miss fire and HPO leak symptoms

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Banned

Also pull filter cap and see if you have "aeration".You can take excite wire that is on the passenger side.It is a single wire with a black plastic connection.You un plug and and spin truck over to see if you have "aeration" or bubbles as [email protected] you do you can do a couple of things.

1-Pull hpop and apply air in the top of the hpop and put your finger on the bottom.If you are building any pressure there is your problem.The hpop system is basically trying to reverse "instead of pulling it is now pushing it" back into the hpo res.If you do not have air at the bottom port of your hpop chances are your hpop is good.

2-If you do the test w/the oil filter cap off and it areates then you are sucking air in on the low pressure side and that could be any where from the front cover to the oil pick up tube.

3-Did you sand on the spool valve assembly
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I spun the spool valves in 1k grit sand paper maybe 4 revolutions just to get any waxy build up off the sand paper was soaked in oil to make sure i didnt scar them. I was skeptical on the forcing ipr closed i heard you can fry it easily... i guess i can throw my old one back in and try it with that one in case it does ill still have the new ipr. I have a air fitting i plugged into the icp sensor hole and like i said no air came out by the oil fill or the pcv hole. Just gurgling under the turbo.. its just weird it starts up great sounds like it just rolled off the lot icp pressures good ipr % is good then after 15 min or till it gets to operating temp the icp starts dropping slowly then it gets to about 500 starts missing and dies because it needs atleast 500 to fire injectors. Its almost like the oil starts thinning out and it starts bypassing somewhere. Im at a total loss on what it could be.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:57 AM
PSN Local

You generally won't "fry the IPR" unless you leave it energized more than 30 seconds. You might actually have a bad HPOP but I would do these test before throwing money at it.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I agree i hate throwing parts at vehicles. Ill try the ipr closed and air test it. How do you go about comanding it closed?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 10:34 AM
PSN Local

Apply 12v to it. Easiest way is to buy an IPR pigtail. That way you have an actual plug to plug into it
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:20 PM
PSN Local

As mentioned do an air test. More than likely your issue is stand pipes or dummy plugs (since it's an 06) while you're in there might has well change the stc fitting.

2006 F350 4X4 CAB CHASSIS w/ Truck Bed
Blue Spring, Mishimoto tstat
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:19 PM
PSN Veteran

If you close IPR, do air test, and dont hear any leaks, it will likely need a HPOP.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode