I have a 2005 f250 6.0 diesel.
Mods:
Egr delete
Updated oil cooler and filter
Head studs
Oem head gaskets
Muffler delete
And have and edge cts to monitor.

I recently have noticed a bad vibration when going about 45-55 mph.
But when I let of the throttle it goes away. I just had my tires balanced and rotated but I feel like it made it worse. I have stock rims and tires. No codes are thrown either.

Fresh oil change and filters and has always been taken care of never been tuned. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 01:33 PM
"Slap hands slap hands"

Re: 6.0 vibration!?

Might need your bearings re packed or replaced or possibly warped rotors???

JB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I just had the front rotors machined and I have to replace the back ones yet. I'm taking it to ford Wednesday so I guess I'll find out then.. Just seeing other ideas from people.

Also my truck starts fine, no long starts or misfires or anything like that. Shifts fine no slips or anything so I don't think its the torque converter locking up.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 05:12 PM
PSN Local

Could be a driveshaft out of balance also.

2006 F350 4X4 CAB CHASSIS w/ Truck Bed
Blue Spring, Mishimoto tstat
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 02:18 AM
JGman141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdavid1 View Post
Could be a driveshaft out of balance also.
This is your issue, had the same thing happening to my truck and then one day it let go and ruined the driveshaft. I would take it off and bring it to a driveline shop and let them rebalance and change out the u-joints. You could also get a custom one-piece made if they want to charge really high prices

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I was thinking it was something like my driveshaft, I did just pull a trailer and maybe that's what caused it to just start vibrating like crazy. Thanks for all the help guys. I am still taking it to ford on Wednesday and I'll let you all know what it was
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 PM
PSN Newb

I had the same issue and it turned out to be the read drives haft had slung a weight. New weight attached and it is almost perfect.

Anyone that didn't know there was never a problem would never know. I can still felt a very slight vibe.

There is a process that you can attempt to do a balancing yourself with two large hose clamps. The screw clamp type.

Attached is a pdf scan of the shop procedures for balancing a driveshaft. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0001.pdf (489.7 KB, 3 views)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 06:29 AM
PSN Newb

I've always suspected the drive shaft is the cause for the mild vibration at 45-50 mph, upon inspecting the drive shaft and manually turning it, I hear a rattling metallic sound coming from inside like a weight that may have released, since the shaft is sealed there's no getting it out and balancing would be near impossible since force and gravity will place it in a different spot every time you stop and go.

What does a new drive shaft generally cost? Has anyone had an aluminum one piece built for their truck?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 10:46 AM
JGman141

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_HARLEY_F250 View Post
I've always suspected the drive shaft is the cause for the mild vibration at 45-50 mph, upon inspecting the drive shaft and manually turning it, I hear a rattling metallic sound coming from inside like a weight that may have released, since the shaft is sealed there's no getting it out and balancing would be near impossible since force and gravity will place it in a different spot every time you stop and go.

What does a new drive shaft generally cost? Has anyone had an aluminum one piece built for their truck?
New driveshaft from ford runs around $900, I had a 4in chromoly single piece made for my truck by Carolina driveline. They make a really nice product and it was far less than a new one from ford. I also weighed both driveshafts and with the 4in chromoly I lost 17lbs by just swapping them. I would definintly recommend looking further into getting one.

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I guess I'll see what ford says I'm there now and there are diagnosing it. but it really sounds like my driveshaft is out of balance or I need a new one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode