turbo/vgt solenoid problem? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

turbo/vgt solenoid problem?

Im stumped as to what this could possibly be. I've previously owned 2 7.3's but this is my first 6.0. I've owned the truck for about a year and a half and everything has been great with it. Over the last few months I've noticed that when i start it the turbo doesn't spool up, at first it would after it got into high idle, now it doesn't at all until you start driving it. Once the turbo spools up it seems to run fine (a little sluggish of the start maybe) but otherwise fine, sometimes getting on the interstate running about 3/4 throttle when i let off and get back on it the turbo does nothing for a good 10-15 seconds no matter how hard i try to push it. The truck is 100 percent stock except for a straight pipe exhaust, never had a chip in it or anything like that. I dont put a ton of miles on it about 18K a year. Its an 04 F-250 with about 110K on the clock, when i bought it it had 89K on it. Im a automotive technician by trade but we dont get many 6.0's we mainly work on 7.3's and duramax trucks when we see a diesel, so im not dumb when it comes to this stuff i just want to not throw a turbo on it if it isnt needed. I've seen it could be the vgt solenoid, EBP sensor, turbo being rusted up or dirty. Thoughts? thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage
Re: turbo/vgt solenoid problem?

Could be any of the above. As little as you drive it, I'm leaning towards sticking vanes/unison ring inside the turbo. For starters though, pull your EBP and clean the tube and fitting in the exhaust manifold. Next check your MAP hose (comes off the intake passengers side, up to a sensor on top of your Evap box), make sure it's not cracked or clogged, as with the nipple on the intake it attaches to. If either of those get clogged, the turbo doesn't work right.

If it turns out to be a sticky turbo, it's not that hard to break it apart and clean it up. Tons of threads/videos on that procedure.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'm going to do that today (aside from taking the turbo off). I'm afraid to pull the turbo off and find it rusted and pitted up.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Pulled the EBP sensor off and the tube was pluged got in it with a pick and started it up and it blew all kinds of crap out of it, cleaned the sensor too. checked the map sensor everything seems to be fine there, and pulled the VGT solenoid out just to check it and it was sticking at the rest position, i know your technically not supposed to clean them but if its bad what do i have to loose? so i cleaned it and re installed. Turbo still doesnt spool on start up but we will see what happens after i drive it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

It won't spool just sitting there idling. You can rev it up all day long with it in park and it'll never build boost.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I don't mean spool up and build boost, I'm talking about the distinctive 6.0 whistle through the exhaust.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 03:33 AM
Chuggaluggin

Hey I dont mean to hijack your thread but im having an issues with my vgt also, a while ago i posted about my turbo burning oil so i went and found a rebuilt 6.0 turbo from an 06 with 26xxx miles on it(original owner swapped it out for an 03 turbo) it had been sitting for a while after rebuild so i assume its been dry. I monitor everything via edge evo cs and if my motor isnt up to 170 eot the vgt does this weird thing while idling itll almost completely dump off from 85% to 15% and build back up. No issues at all while actually driving i have a distinct whistle great boost no lag and its 85% to around 60% its just when idling before that 170 temp that itll just drop and i have no whistle or anything? Any ideas? Sorry again i really dont want to butt into your post op but i didnt want to start a whole new thread since there is a similar topic.

06 F350 4dr long bed SRW FX4
XDP Egr delete
XDP Coolant filter system
MBRP 4" Turbo Back exhaust
Edge Evo Cs
2.5 level

Wayyy more to come!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 02:27 AM
JGman141

03 turbos are the only ones that really whistle

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 02:27 AM
JGman141

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSheriff View Post
Hey I dont mean to hijack your thread but im having an issues with my vgt also, a while ago i posted about my turbo burning oil so i went and found a rebuilt 6.0 turbo from an 06 with 26xxx miles on it(original owner swapped it out for an 03 turbo) it had been sitting for a while after rebuild so i assume its been dry. I monitor everything via edge evo cs and if my motor isnt up to 170 eot the vgt does this weird thing while idling itll almost completely dump off from 85% to 15% and build back up. No issues at all while actually driving i have a distinct whistle great boost no lag and its 85% to around 60% its just when idling before that 170 temp that itll just drop and i have no whistle or anything? Any ideas? Sorry again i really dont want to butt into your post op but i didnt want to start a whole new thread since there is a similar topic.
This is totally normal, the truck is just sweeping the vains

2004 6.0 ccsb Warren 430/150 hybrids, Warren Comp Trans, Warren Dual Hpop, Billet S475 w/race cover, Marty's A1000 Fuel System, Colt Stage 2, and all the other supporting stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgman141 View Post
03 turbos are the only ones that really whistle
It still should have a slight whistle when idling, it sounds like a gas truck till you start driving it. No turbo whistle at all, it keeps setting under boost codes P0299, no CEL just stored in memory codes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode