A little insight.. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

A little insight..

About to purchase my first powerstroke, it's an 05 F350 crew cab long bed 5 speed manual. I'm at a small stand still since the dealer lost keys, so I can't drive it yet or anything but they were saying it needs glow plugs(which I found a box of laying on back seat). I have to do my research to verify if the egr has been deleted or not, or wether or not I can tell if it's been studded or not. It does have an aftermarket filter system for the coolant, which I see is included in a lot of bullet proofing kits. My question is how what's an average price with labor for "bulletproofing", a friend of a friend quoted me about $3200 for the parts and install, and $5000 ish on some sort of an overhaul which includes having heads sent out to a machine shop and what not. Is there a way to tell if someone has already done head studs without taking anything apart? If all it needs are glow plugs, they seem easy enough to change with a couple Bucks spend on the specialty tool? Sorry for any vagueness lol, without even having the keys I can't say much. It's priced right, and a hard combo to find around here, just hoping its a good decision. Any insight and info is much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 AM
PSN Local

Re: A little insight..

Look at the valve covers. The head bolts vs studs can be identified by their shap. The head bolts are a 6 sided hex bolt... Studs you see a stud/rod that protrudes out/through the cover and are secured by 12 sided nuts.

2004 CCSB Lariat 4" lift, 35's, Edge CTS Insight, SCT X3, 4" Diamond Eye turbo back cat delete with muffler, pioneer double din Nav headunit.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Professional American, guarding our constitution. Gone, but not forgotten.

Bulletproofing can have a lot of latitude... For studs, replaced head gasket, and egr delete along with the tuner (what one did they put in?) to make it all work, $3200 is.....eh. If there's more then you're getting closer to a good deal.

One thing you missed was declaring the mileage. Do you know any maintennce history? 6-leakers can be money pits, but what International isn't..

Best of luck with it and welcome to the Nation!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Unfortunately no service records that I'm aware of, and it has 171k miles on it:/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

yeah! welcome!
and along with seeing the headbolts/studs (they can be seen right where tappet cover meets the head all around it), you can look right under the passenger side of the turbo at the passenger side y-pipe. you'll see the cooler bolted on or a block-off plate iirc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 05:57 PM
PSN Local

In my personal experience, any time a diesel engine doesn't run right the knowledgeable person will say "it's glow plugs." Strike one. You've found parts in the back seat, plus an aftermarket addition (coolant filter). Strike two.

I think the "dealer lost the keys" is a HIGHLY suspicious statement.

I'm not saying don't buy it, but I'd definitely plan on putting $2000-5000 in fixing and upgrading. Mine needed a lot, but I paid a fair price for it that considered.

I highly recommend having a Scangauge II with you when you actually can drive it. Definitely check the usual (stone cold start, hot start, ECT/EOT after extended driving, etc.). If the truck is solid and you have a good idea of what it needs, go for it. I know manual trans 6.0s aren't easy to come by. What's the price, and how many miles?

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:56 PM
PSN Veteran

failed glow plugs WILL turn on CEL. Thats a nice feature to the 6.0. So i HIGHLY doubt it needs them if the light is off. As far as price, its all dependent on location really. At least 20-25 hours labor for full bullet proofing plus cost of parts and machine work. did they have any reasoning behind it needing glow plugs? Where are you located?

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 02:18 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michipicoten_SuperDuty View Post
...the knowledgeable person will say "it's glow plugs."
That was supposed to say UNknowledgeable person. Well now, that sort of changes my statement, doesn't it. Oops. That's what happens when you use spellcheck blindly.

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode