Dual alternator setup primary removal good/bad process idea - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Dual alternator setup primary removal good/bad process idea

With the dual alt setup you cannot get to the secondary (inner) tensioner so far as I've been able to work out (I have small hands and arms so can physically feel it but the recess is deep enough and clearances are small enough that getting a breaker bar or ratchet on it are not possible.

The clearances and belt routing for the primary alt is too too for the typical pull on the belt and clasp the retainer clip on the tensioner. There is also nowhere to pry the belt from.

IDEA: bungee cord the serpentine belt... Remove alternator while the belt tensioner is in its place. After alt is out, use a pry bar to bring the belt tensioner into position, lock the clamp, install new alt.

I've been hesitant as there are wiring issues on my truck resulting from the previous owner cutting into the harness to eliminate the factory second alt and not using properly color coded wiring or doing it well. I have no idea if a charging issue that is intermittent every few times I start the car is a result of the wiring, alternator (new but means nothing), or PCM related due to the truck having the factory dual setup. Information is mixed and the back of the cluster is not a 12 pin but a 10 pin so the tsb doesn't seem to apply accurately.

I live far from any parts store so the alt pull/test/swap will be in their lot hence my trying to find a shortcut.

2004 CCSB Lariat 4" lift, 35's, Edge CTS Insight, SCT X3, 4" Diamond Eye turbo back cat delete with muffler, pioneer double din Nav headunit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Re: Dual alternator setup primary removal good/bad process idea

u have seen this PDF from Ford ??

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jBJptIJcu842SQ

the PCM does randomly select the start up alternator with the duals so ?

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:57 PM
PSN Veteran

It can be done. I replaced both belts and primary alternator with everything in place (fan, etc). Its not easy but it is doable. Are you just trying to change belts?

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
It can be done. I replaced both belts and primary alternator with everything in place (fan, etc). Its not easy but it is doable. Are you just trying to change belts?
I am NOT trying to change the belts (fortunately). I am just trying to pull the top alternator off the truck to have it bench tested.

I pulled the air deflector and cut out a few small tabs lower on the passenger side of the block from the shroud to try and gain access to the tensioner square drive hole. While I could get my finger to it, I could not get any tool into it and still provide leverage/have room to move due to pull locations and secondary tensioner

2004 CCSB Lariat 4" lift, 35's, Edge CTS Insight, SCT X3, 4" Diamond Eye turbo back cat delete with muffler, pioneer double din Nav headunit.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 AM
PSN Veteran

There is a space to put a 1/2 rachet on the tensioner. I cant remember if i used an extension or not. You have to feel for the lock tab. Why do you want to bench test it? battery light on running? Mine would come on with glow plugs on only. It usually seems to pick the primary alt for warm up. I had code stored for upper generator fault.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
u have seen this PDF from Ford ??

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jBJptIJcu842SQ

the PCM does randomly select the start up alternator with the duals so ?
I have seen that tsb as well as a different one. My truck is a late 2004 build. I pulled the dash cluster and step 2 referenced a 12 pin connector. It seemed by counting wires mine is a 10 pin. Color coding of the schematic seems off as well so I didn't mess with it.

The previous owner seems to have cut in where the two pigtails connecting the primary and second alternator plug together and eliminated the connection to the second harness. They then ran a black wire (no clue if it's a ground or something unrelated to the front passenger side of the truck and tucks into the wheel well. This wire appears to be spliced in to the wire on the drivers side that plugs into the wiring harness and runs back to the PCM/Main harness. They hid the work well and left the backup/lower alt in place and the harness where the plug ran was just dangling down between the block and the wheel well so I didn't notice when I bought it.

Batteries both bench tested fine at two locations, and according to my insight voltage runs most of the time at about 14.1ish.... but occasionally will hold in the 11's. I have VERY little driving time in on the truck due to all the electrical gremlins (maybe 350 miles total) and most trips are short due to living in a ski resort town. I'm just getting sick of charging the truck almost every time I drive it to be safe.

Last edited by abrown3mtg; 02-05-2015 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Added details
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewd11 View Post
There is a space to put a 1/2 rachet on the tensioner. I cant remember if i used an extension or not. You have to feel for the lock tab. Why do you want to bench test it? battery light on running? Mine would come on with glow plugs on only. It usually seems to pick the primary alt for warm up. I had code stored for upper generator fault.
I think I'll have to get a VERY short extension. The ones I have at the house were too long.

I want to bench test it as the truck doesn't charge some times. Battery light NEVER has come on the entire time I've owned it including when I was driving home and a block from the house the electrical system/stereo/lights shut off.... The battery light is capable of illuminating though.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Trying to get a handle on everything in the harness I just started cutting into the wiring loom for the second alternator. there is a yellow wire that goes from the plug end out to the second alternator. the green with red strip jumps back on itself as does a white with yellow stripe. so 4 of the 5 pins in that connector are used to jump 2 wires. That yellow goes straight through to the second alt's plug... The red/green plug on the lower alt feeds through 2 fusible links to the battery. The smaller (i'm guessing 18g/blue) fusible link in my setup looks a bit charred. I wish I had a full harness on a second 6.0 to see what that yellow wire ties back to! There is nothing in the harness I have found thus far that is capped off and not connected straight through.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

QUESTION: Where does the pigtail that leads to the plug to the second alt's wiring harness branch out from on the motor? Perhaps I can trace it back and successfully find that yellow wire.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

On a very positive up side, I just found a bad/broken ground. (comes from bottom of passenger side block to top of the frame rail on passenger side...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode