IPR screen trashed with gasket/Oring material - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

IPR screen trashed with gasket/Oring material

New ford oil cooler and gaskets 40k miles ago for preventive maintenance. 225,000 on truck now
2 starts then died on cold mornings (25 degrees) in last 4k miles. First time replaced IPR this time cleaned IPR and replaced screen. Screen trashed both times.
No problems warm starts so not thinking its orings from high pressure rails or injectors..... Any ideas where material would be coming from?? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.1 KB, 41 views)

2006 F450 13,000# Service Truck, Sct live wire /65hp tow tune. Baldwin BF1212 primary fuel/water seperator, Cat 1R-0750 secondary fuel, CAT ELC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 06:58 PM
PSN Local

Re: IPR screen trashed with gasket/Oring material

That green doesn't look like ford OEM--are you sure it was OEM? What your pic shows looks like trashed dorman gasket material. I bet the hpop screen is covered in that mess.

2006 F350 4X4 CAB CHASSIS w/ Truck Bed
Blue Spring, Mishimoto tstat
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Feel confident it was a ford oil cooler, a ford tech put it in and preached to only use genuine ford. The oil I use is rich blue in color and possibly stained the pieces bluish/green. I just picked new oil cooler up from dealer and next plan of attack is to put it in and see what screen looks like. Thanks for your reply! I am welcome to any input.

2006 F450 13,000# Service Truck, Sct live wire /65hp tow tune. Baldwin BF1212 primary fuel/water seperator, Cat 1R-0750 secondary fuel, CAT ELC.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:38 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch Digger View Post
Feel confident it was a ford oil cooler, a ford tech put it in and preached to only use genuine ford. The oil I use is rich blue in color and possibly stained the pieces bluish/green. I just picked new oil cooler up from dealer and next plan of attack is to put it in and see what screen looks like. Thanks for your reply! I am welcome to any input.
Good deal. I can't say as I've ever seen or heard of the oem gaskets doing that but anything is possible. It would be interesting to know what Ford would have to say about it--maybe you cold get some kind of comp on it--you never know. Least it's not too bad of a job to fix.

2006 F350 4X4 CAB CHASSIS w/ Truck Bed
Blue Spring, Mishimoto tstat
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Attached another pict to help anyone having same issue. I agree on anything is possible. Could be oem gaskets failing. I have had a slight oil leak after the oil cooler was installed that has gotten worse. I will repost after I break it down and have more info. Might invest in heavy duty hpop screen from IPR research if others have had good results with it. Keep yall posted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.7 KB, 31 views)

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 12:13 PM
PSN Newb

when you replace a oil cooler you are suppose to clean very good and blow air around the oil cooler before and after the removal of oil cooler . When I did my oil cooler I cleaned very good and my IPr screen still got dirty and truck was dieing out. Dirt could be coming from the oil cooler change. You might have to clean the ipr screen a few times to get it right and pray nothing got in to damage the oil pump.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I hear ya on keeping it clean.. We tried hard to be very clean but i had same issue right after oil cooler install. Had grit in the screen that time. It has been good for about 40k miles. Then started having problems again but with the gasket looking material not sand/grit debris. I will update after I get inside to see whats happening. Thanks

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Would be some chit if dealer cheaper out and slapped a Dorman cooler in the thing....

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Uggg . That would hurt my feelings! Once I get the oil cooler out I should be able to tell if its got a ford part number on it? I think I read Dorman puts there name or trademark on theirs. Dorman supplied gaskets would be the culprit if thats the case.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Broke her down today..... Dorman is the problem. kdavid1 called it. Putting new oem cooler in now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (23.5 KB, 17 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode