engine cooling ? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

engine cooling ?

in a 06 6.0 is there any kind of antifreeze that can be used besides the motorcraft gold yellow that is only available form the dealer in my area that is clossed this weekend. and wont hurt the engine untill the next required coolant change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:25 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Re: engine cooling ?

Zerex G05 - they sell it at NAPA

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

do you have to drain it completely or can i just drain the radiator and fill it back up with a 50 50 mix of it and distilled water without trying to get it all out of the engine? is there anything else i dont really have a napa auto very close by

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:45 PM
"resident smarty pants"

I am not aware of any other coolant that meets the Ford spec. Maybe other Auto Parts stores carry the Zerex.

To change the coolant, you really should do a series of 3 distilled water flushes and then add 14 quarts of 100% coolant. Top it off w/ distilled water.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:50 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Here is a procedure I copied from another Forum:

1) Buy 4 gallons of Ford Premium Gold coolant at dealer (or Zerex G05)

2) Buy 15 gallons of distilled water at local grocery store.

3) Drop lower radiator hose until empty.

4) Reconnect hose and add distilled water to degas bottle until full.

5) Drive truck until temp guage goes to normal and thermostat opens.

6) Repeat steps #3 through #5 no less than 4 or 5 times (depends on distilled water amaount used) - I can't remember?

7) You now have 100% distilled water in your system.

8) Drop lower hose 1 last time, drain and reconnect.

9) Look in manual for your system capacity and for a 50/50% refill of coolant just add the coolant straight into your degas bottle up to the amount that equals a 50/50% concentration. Our refill capacity is 27.5 quarts.

10) Start motor and add distilled water to bring system level to the MIN mark on degas bottle.

11) Drive truck around to open thermostat and let cool 1 or twice to purge any air. May need to add more distilled water (don't add coolant)... but when done you have flushed your entire system and have a perfect 50/50% concentration of coolant and distilled water!!!!

The dealer only uses tap water and so does most other places... distilled is best in order to keep the minerals out of your system.

Mark
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

thanks i just finnished doing all of this and have another question.

how hot should one of these engines run just driving down the hwy at 65 mph on a 97 deg day not pulling a load, cruise control on, with stock program, 3.73 gears, 33" tires, s&b cai, 5" tb exhaust, a/c on. just curious mine has been running around 206 deg f here lately which is why i changed out the coolant ( well it was due for a change any way at 105k mi) but it seems like the engines running kinda hot for just cruising down the hwy empty.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 05:32 AM
"resident smarty pants"

STOCK READINGS
...................................Normal......Severe Service......Alarm
Tranny Temp................150 - 195......195 - 200............220
Coolant Temp...............190 - 195.......195 - 210...........215
Fuel Press......................60 - 50.........50 - 45..............45
EGT - pre Turbo............650 - 1200....1200 - 1250.........1300
EGT - post Turbo...............700...............900......... .....1000
Boost..............................0 - 26..........27 - 28.............28
Oil Temp.......................200 - 220.......220 - 235..........235
Oil Press............................12............... .na.................7
HPOP Discharge Press
Coolant system Press..........10-12..............na...............16

Mark
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 05:44 AM
"resident smarty pants"

Also, as an FYI .............

Engine temperature is not the only parameter that the PCM monitors to determine cooling fan operation. This is the reason that you will see some variation in engine temperature as it correlates to fan operation. The operation/description of the FSS (Fan Speed Sensor) from the PC/ED manual has a fairly good explanation as to how the system "thinks". This is not your traditional engine hits temp X and the fan clutch locks up. The fan speed sensor is a Hall-Effect sensor integral to the vistronic drive fan (VDF). The powertrain control module (PCM) will monitor the sensor input and control the VDF speed based upon engine coolant temperature (ECT), transmission fluid temperature (TFT) and intake air temperature (IAT) requirements. When an increase in fan speed for vehicle cooling is requested, the PCM will monitor the FSS signal and output the required pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to a fluid port valve within the VDF.

Some say fan kicks on at 210, some say 215, others say 220. The variability is due to the explanation above. Engine begins to defuel at 221 deg. The thermostat begins to open at about 190*F to 195*F and is not fully open until about 215*F to 219*F.

Mark
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

thanks for the info. the other day when i noticed the hotter than normal engine coolant temp it was 97 deg outside running on the hwy empty around 65 mph. the engine coolant temp was around 206, trans temp 155, engine oil temp 196, pyro after turbo 560 , boost at around 6psi. think it is about normal?
i have noticed the engine fan kicks on high speed when coolant temp gets to around 196 deg which i guess is about right for it on my f150 it does it at 198 deg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode