help diagnosing air leak test - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Highland Drover

help diagnosing air leak test

Hello all...
I will start from the beginning...2006 f350 DRW CC 118000 miles.
purchased the truck 12K back. truck began long crank to start and hooked my genisys up and I had way out of whack deltas so I elected to go in and change the oil cooler. STC, Stand pipes, Dummy plugs, injector O-rings including top ring and replaced all ball and seals in branch tubes. the cooler was partly plugged and I discovered my scanner was giving false info due to not having it updated. no matter new cooler installed (DORMAN) AFTER a thorough flush and change to CAT- ELC. truck ran excellent after this work for maybe 1000 miles deltas are at 7 degrees. experiencing hot no start with a min of 5 hour cooldown before restart and restart is a bit slow but fires and runs perfect, does not shut down but will not start hot. leak tested and can hear a slight leak in both valve covers Passenger side has more sound.. energizing IPR has almost unnoticeable change and I replaced IPR. this made no no difference at all. removed valve cover on Pass side and can hear leaking but cannot isolate for sure from where, seems as if all over under that branch tube.
during previous work I added updated drain tube and supply line and new seals on HPOP as I was there...
KOEO IPC ~.85-.95
IPR never goes much over 50% cranking but pressure stays below 300 hot, cold it goes to just over 500 and fires up smooth.
I did not write down my numbers hot before tearing it down but all was within expected parameters and it runs excellent.
could the leak I am hearing be coming from the HPOP or oil cooler seals?
suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 03:12 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage
Re: help diagnosing air leak test

First mistake was using a Dorman oil cooler....ONLY use Motorcraft coolers and filters on a 6.0

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Highland Drover

yes I have gained that knowledge after the fact. the cooler looked fine. my deltas are perfect at no more than 9 degrees. it is possible that seal may be an issue and I will replace with OEM kit if that is the problem. I have no debris on my old IPR but I replaced it with a new one as it made no difference when energized. new one makes no difference as well.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Highland Drover

I do use only OEM filters. except I have an amsoil bypass setup. and DIY coolant filter.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 03:30 AM
PSN Veteran

Just saw pics from quicktricks the other day were a customer supplied the parts and had bought all Dorman. They told him it wasn't a good idea and he said that's what he wanted. Not long after he was back in getting it redone because all the gaskets were tore up. Look at quicktricks FB page for the pics.

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Highland Drover

I have seen similar pics...of course AFTER I already used the doorman. would that gasket blown cause a leak you can hear in both sides but mostly on passenger side? with the IPR making no difference energized or not?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Highland Drover

Experts needed... help diagnosing air leak test

anyone want to put in their 5.5 cents worth?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Fixing Broken Stuff

Did you replace the stand pipe and dummy plugs with the updated parts from the dealer? The originals are 10mm hex and the updated are 12mm hex. I know it can be difficult to find the leak went air testing, so I'd say just remove the stand pipes and dummy plugs and inspect the O-ring, it's obvious when they are bad. If those are good then look at the injector top seals, you said you replaced them 1000 miles ago, if one of those is bad then look at the O-ring behind the nipple in the oil manifold for that injector. To take that nipple off your gonna need a special tool, you cam by the tool and O-rings on ebay.

2015 Challenger HellCat Redline Red 8sp
1997 F350 4X4 CCLB PSD
2004 Jetta TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 11mm pump S7 PP764's 3bar MAP
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Fixing Broken Stuff

Also if you used a green gasket with that Dorman oil cooler you should change while your working on it.

2015 Challenger HellCat Redline Red 8sp
1997 F350 4X4 CCLB PSD
2004 Jetta TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 11mm pump S7 PP764's 3bar MAP
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Highland Drover

stand pipes and dummy plugs are all the updated parts. nipple cups and O-rings were replaced at the same time. barring a cut oring during install the only weak point is the dorman gaskets/seals on cooler. I am going to replace to cooler this weekend with a ford part and pull the oil pump cover to confirm no issues there while I am at it.
thanks for the reply...I will post my discoveries this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode