03 F-450 4x4 6.0 Starves For Power - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

03 F-450 4x4 6.0 Starves For Power

I recently bought a 2003 F450 4x4 6.0 diesel dump truck for my business, it has around 101k miles on it, it was put in a ditch last winter and had some right front damage but seemed to run ok, now that I have it put together it has 2 issues, the first is that after running and driving for a few miles, it will act like its choking out and loses power. I changed the air filter which looked plugged badly, but it still does it, any ideas?

My second issue is the serpentine belt that runs the P.T.O. will start smoking down by the crank pulley, I just snapped a new belt. I've checked the idler and tensioner pulleys as well as the alignment of the pulleys, nothing seems wrong. I don't seem to have any issues with the main belt that runs the alternator and A/C and stuff, just the one that was added on by the company that installed the dump.

I really appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 03 F-450 4x4 6.0 Starves For Power

bump
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 10:11 AM
PSN Newb

Do you have a scan tool?? Do you have any trouble codes is the turbo producing boost need details

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Jackleg Mechanic

Have you changed the oil? You're going to need a scan tool hooked to it, otherwise its all a guessing game.

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I did just change the oil before this started. I do have an OBD2 scan tool. I did both fuel filters and it still runs the same, no power and it seems like it's being choked out or something. I did notice a broken off vacuum hose on the passenger inner fender that goes to a black plastic ball. I don't know much about diesels, gas engines I know a lot about. I really need the truck for work, if I knew of a good diesel mechanic around me I'd just take itthere, but there are none that I'm aware of except for the Ford dealer which is a joke.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 AM
PSN Veteran

generic scanners wont work. You need a high quality scanner to read these trucks. Problem could be one of several. Try to find someone who knows these trucks well.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 02:43 AM
PSN Newb

If it sat for a long period Not Running or not run briskly to put some action in the Turbo. The Unison Ring could be seized , this is the Ring that moves the vanes inside the turbo to develop boost instantly off the line.

Moisture will back up the Exhaust into the Turbo , rusting the ring in position.

Do a Search for " Cleaning the Unison ring " .

Easy enough for someone who has worked on engines before. Couple hours tops !! Good place to start , might solve you problem and save $$$$$.

My '05 was not a daily driver, it would pull the Truck around fine, but the minute you loaded or tried pulling anything , it wouldn't go at all. Pulled the Turbo and there was flaky rust between Unison ring and face of the turbo. After cleaning ran like a new Truck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode