Tow Mode Not Working - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Tow Mode Not Working

I bought my 2005 F250 a couple years ago. It is stock except for the blue spring upgrade. I have the TORQUE app and keep an eye on the vitals. Bought a 36 ft tow behind camper last year. Tried to put the truck in "tow mode" and nothing happened. Just wondering where I start? I have read some posts where it could be the switch or a fuse or a relay or the wires. Was wondering if anyone knew of a write-up or video that shows the steps and what to watch out for.
Thanks,
Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 PM
PursuitInterceptor

Re: Tow Mode Not Working

Does the "TOW/HAUL" light up on the gauges when you use the button?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

It is often a chafed wire inside the steering column where the wires enter the end of the shift handle. If you remove the plastic cover from the column you can see where the wires are damaged. Either fix the wires or replace the shift handle.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The tow/haul light doesn't light up. I will remover the cover when I get off work. Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Went to remove the plastic covers last night. Had to take off outer portion of ignition to get the top cover off. Why the crap Ford didn't make the split in the cover at the ignition...... Soon as I started messing with the cover, the "ding" bell started sounding so I unhooked both batteries. I couldn't see any chaffing. Looks like the shift handle bolts in place with one big screw blocked by the steering wheel. A small copper flat blade switch which causes the "ding" bell somehow is placed on the ignition. I couldn't get it back in the right place. I got everything else back together but now my ignition isn't as smooth as it was before. I messed with it this morning when I got to my works parking lot and the outer portion popped off. Still need to check the fuses. My fuse checker battery was dead so I need to go to the pit (walmart) after work.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

UPDATE: I went to work and decided to mess with the outer plastic cover for the ignition. It fell off. I looked closer at it and decided to flip the cover. Put it back in place and everything started working again......Still the tow mode is out but at least I have it back like it was before I messed with it. Going to check the fuses this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode