Oh crap! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Oh crap!

I broke down, and now I have a no start condition. My symptoms don't seem to go together, so I thought I would see what you guys think.

I recently installed a pyrometer, and I tried towing my toyhauler with a tune for the first time. I'm running Looney from Quock Tricks, and EGT were below 700, oil and coolant temp were 202 and 196....everything looked and felt great. I was going down a very long grade for about 10 mins, so the only thing working hard was my brakes. I stopped at the bottom of the grade at a stop sign, and when I pulled out onto a flat two lane bridge (yes I was that guy dead on a two lane bridge) it died with no warning. It would then crank but not start. When I opened the hood there was coolant all over the driver side, but my degas bottle was full and there was no sign of an over pressure condition.

I had to get towed home. In the driveway, still crank no start. I'm not building ICP. It won't even get to 100. My question, what the heck happened?

What causes a giant coolant leak (I cant see the source and can't start it to replcate), kills your engine, and takes out your injector oil pressure at the same time?

Ideas?

2005 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab
SCT Tuner and LooneyTune by Quick Tricks
Bulletproof EGR cooler (I live in CA, smog Mecca)
Updated standpipes,dummy plugs and STC
Blue Spring
4" turbo back exhaust with CAT delete
Coolant Filter with CAT EC-1 coolant
DC Power 185 amp alternator and wiring upgrade
Dashboss Monitoring
Zoodad Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:01 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Oh crap!

my first guess would be ipr is stuck open with a piece of debri. i suppose it is possible that the stc fitting blew of of the pump, but I doubt that under the conditions that it died. my last thought is that you may have cracked your low pressure oil pump gerotor gear if you were running high rpms using the engine to hold you back coming down the long hill (I see this with manual trans sometimes). I suspect coolant leak is unrelated to the died/no start.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks!

I wish that dang ipr wasn't so hard to get to! I did kill the old ipr with debris after I did the oil cooler, but that was a couple of years ago. In that case, I think my lack of care while wipe king is what did it, do you often see this randomly?

I wasn't engine braking to any great degree (I have an automatic). I did however replace my STC myself a while back. Maybe I didn't reinstall it properly?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:05 AM
PSN Veteran

if the stc has been replaced with the updated solid fitting, it most likely is not that. if you installed it incorrectly, you would have probably been experiencing a no start hot condition before this occured. Id pull the ipr and see if the screen is damaged. if so, take the screen off and look closely in the end of it with a light. you may see a fine piece of metal holding the pintle open. I have had good luck getting the debri out and then replacing the screen and reinstalling the ipr. I usually see about 50 psi if the ipr is hung open.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode