Steam and white smoke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Steam and white smoke

05 4wd 209xxx miles, mbrp straight pipe turbo back, afe intake, bully dog gt programmer. Went out yesterday to leave work and started the truck to let it run a min before I left and noticed a lot of steam and some white smoke. After a couple of min the steam trailed off but with a little throttle the smoke was pretty heavy. When I went to drive of the smoke was heavy for about two blocks then stopped. I pulled the eve valve and it was pretty bad, cleaned it and the intake was a little damp. Coolant level did not appear to have dropped any. Re-installed the egr and started the truck. More steam and smoke. Ordered a delete kit thinking it was time to replace the cooler. Now on to the part that has me confused, later during the day I drove the truck after it sitting for a few hours and no smoke or steam was noticed. This morning when I went to leave for work nothing again. Coolant level still does not appear to have dropped and the truck runs as usual. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage
Re: Steam and white smoke

My guess is EGR cooler...not sure why the smoke is random, but steam/white smoke and a damp intake is usually a pretty good sign of a blown cooler. Park the truck for a while with the nose downhill nd pull the EGR valve. See if there is coolant there.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode