Turbo center seal? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
K

Turbo center seal?

Truck running fine but blue smoke when deep into pedal.Any cost effective options besides buying a new turbo.? How long can I drive it like this? Been a few weeks now and I keep an eye on oil level.Noticed a little oill in tail pipe to. No codes being tossed either and like I said truck with a mild custom tune is running well.

I can eat 10 pieces of French Toast!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
K

Re: Turbo center seal??

My diesel guy over the phone when I told him I was burning oil told me to check for excess pressure by opening oil fill cap. Thankfully it was normal so he said more than likely turbo center seal. I didn't ask him about options and his shop is over an hour drive outside the city.I need to drive the truck to get to work, am I walking a fine line here? I can get a rebuild for 1600 locally or do I get it torn down and rebuilt with seals and serviced/cleaned?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:25 AM
Jackleg Mechanic

Re: Turbo center seal?

What model is your truck? I'm pretty sure you can get a much better deal on a turbo from some vendors on this site.

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:28 AM
PSN Local

The rebuild kit for your turbo is cheap like 140 bucks on ebay its genuine garrett parts too

08 superduty 6.4 fx4 sct live wire 9625or edge evo monitor flow pro 5 inch downpipe back. Afe stage 2 cold air intake 35 inch mickys on 18 revolver rims. dpf delete ccv mod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 TDI jetta . Strait piped runnin on B100 summertime and B50 in the winter.

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 03:55 AM
PSN Veteran

You state that it is burning oil. How much,and how often?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Fixing Broken Stuff

A friend of mine has a truck that his unison ring was seized, so the turbo wasn't working right. When I took the turbo apart the exhaust side seemed to have a lot oil oil in it. So I sand blast all the rust off the turbine housing, tape up the wheel and blast the rust off the cartridge side, then cleaned the unison ring and put it all back together. After I started it up I could see oil leaking around the seam between the turbine housing and center cartridge up at the top right by where the VGT arm would be, (the truck is using excess amounts of oil) Now I'm thinking the oil is leaking through the arm shaft that actuates the VGT. So now I'm thinking maybe a new VGT solenoid may fix that problem, IDK?? Since then I have seen a couple of other trucks that have a oil consumption problem/leak on the back of the engine and I think they have the same problem.

So maybe you have the same problem??

2015 Challenger HellCat Redline Red 8sp
1997 F350 4X4 CCLB PSD
2004 Jetta TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 11mm pump S7 PP764's 3bar MAP
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
You state that it is burning oil. How much,and how often?
If I drove it to work everyday I'm sure it's 2 litters a week. Sometimes I don't really notice it as much but if I get deep into the pedal it's obvious. If the seal is shot will the turbine eventually fail? Been there done that a few yrs ago pretty dramatic but no engine damage. Is burning oil hard on my injectors? 2006 f 350 I hear about rebuild kits on E bay beyond my capibilities and how much labour if I could find somebody to do it.Local Turbo shop would laugh me out the door if I showed up with a kit asking them to do the labour.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:17 AM
Jackleg Mechanic

Check out sunrise fords thread and ask them for a quote on a new turbo and a rebuild kit.

Jeff
06 F350 6.0L CCLB AMARILLO 4X4
- SCT Livewire, Quick Tricks Looney tune, XDP Coolant filter, Blue Spring Mod, High Flow Banjo bolts, Warren's 175/30 injectors with upgraded spools, ARP Studs, PowerMax Stag One Turbo, Bilstien 5100's. Banks 4in turbo back Monster exhaust. All necessary internal bulletproofing. High Idle mod
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
K

I can see oil in down pipe even leaking a little externaly where joins turbo. I will look around for a rebuild locally or a decent used one. I'll check classifides on here also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode