Hydraulic leak in the injector(s)? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Hydraulic leak in the injector(s)?

Today I finally got my high pressure oil system completely back together. Just to be sure before I buttoned it back up (HPOP cover), I put ~125 PSI air on the system via the port where the HPOP cover connects. Much to my dismay, I heard more than one leak.

I pulled off one of the oil manifolds and then applied the air directly to the port on the top of the injectors. Two of the four on the passenger side leaked (I didn't pull apart the driver side yet). It appears the air is escaping from the small holes around the main hydraulic hole on the top of the injectors.

So my question is: Is this bad? I have a feeling it is, but I thought I'd ask. If it is a problem, what can I do to remedy it? Are new injectors the only option? Is it common for injectors to leak on the hydraulic side like this? I have a lot of money into this project already and would rather not put a ton more into it right now.

By the way, I have already installed new ball tube O-rings, new top (ball tube connection) seals on the injectors, and a new HPOP. I would like to replace the remaining seals (the ones at the flex hose connections), but I'm not sure where to get these, or even if they can be replaced. It is the early high pressure oil setup, by the way.

Thanks for to anyone who can shed some light on this injector thing.

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 05:04 PM
PSN Local

Re: Hydraulic leak in the injector(s)?

have you tried to start it yet? aka is there any oil in the hp system at all? if not dont worry about it try starting it first, its happened to me before its because theres no oil and the orings wont seal with just air they need the oil pressure to seal correctly.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by polish pete View Post
have you tried to start it yet? aka is there any oil in the hp system at all? if not dont worry about it try starting it first, its happened to me before its because theres no oil and the orings wont seal with just air they need the oil pressure to seal correctly.
Exactly the answer I was hoping for. No, I haven't attempted starting yet. I will do exactly what you said. I was thinking last night about the spool valves in the top of the injectors and how if they were filled with air instead of oil that they wouldn't seal.

I was doing some searching last night and I found the procedure for cleaning the spool in the top of the injectors. I think I am going to do this. I already have the fresh seals to reinstall the injectors, and I might as well take care of a small stiction problem while I'm here.

Thanks a lot!

2004 F-250 Lariat, 6.0, SCLB, 4wd, Magnaflow turbo-back, EGR delete, studded, 6.4 banjo, new oil cooler and HPOP as of 5-11-2014
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Stiction doesn't always mean dirty spools. They could just be worn. How many miles on the injectors?

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedSD View Post
Stiction doesn't always mean dirty spools. They could just be worn. How many miles on the injectors?
Boy, you guys are on top of this thread! Here's the story:

First, I don't think I have a terrible stiction problem, just when it was cold it was a bit rough and lacking power. Not terrible.

I started with injector numbers one and two today. When I pulled them apart, both showed no evidence of varnish. I mean, absolutely none. And, both moved very freely throughout the bore. At that point, I really didn't feel like spending the time I take out six more injectors to "fix" a problem that wasn't there.

The truck has 166k miles on it. I did notice that the spools did show some wear. So, it looks like if stiction ever becomes a big problem, I'll be looking at a new set of injectors then.

Thanks much, again!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 03:35 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

We've all been there at some point. I have a case of it with mine at 155,000 miles. Always just plug it up when it's going to be cold. If I don't it runs pretty rough for a bit. I live in a close quarters neighborhood, so that rough sounding mess echoes up and down the street! I did however recently load up Eric's Inductive Heat FICM tune.... Completely eliminated that rough cold weather startup.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode