My turn to ask for help... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Big dumb redneck

Garage
My turn to ask for help...

I usually try to just answer questions and help people on here as most seem to be new to the 6.0 as I once was, but it's my turn to ask the powers at be to shed a little insight on a couple situations for me. I typically head over to PSA for the technical questions I have but seems like unless you are a part of the "group" there, or have a heavily modified truck, the vast majority of the guys that know these trucks don't bother responding. So, those of you 6.0 guru's that still cruise through the Nation from time to time... this is for you....

First off.... recently the ole girl has gotten laggy as hell. Like, mash the throttle from a stop and the gauge would slowly climb. Get on it, and boost would come on up to 22ish, but it wouldn't hold there. Just cruising around it would hover below 5psi until you mashed on it. First thought is sticking turbo. No big deal. Hooked AE up yesterday to watch some numbers...

KOEO,
MAP 14.46
BARO 14.46
EBP 14.8

All seems well there... cranked the truck, cold engine at idle...

KOER
MAP 14.68
BARO 14.46
EBP 18.7

Seem right to yall? I know what the numbers should read KOEO... just not sure what they should show at idle. EBP does climb when you boost thought. Put the truck in gear, brought the RPM's up to about 1250, EBP came up to like 27psi I think it was, 3lbs of boost on the gauge.

Next thought was VGT duty cycle. Immediately after cranking, it was at like 80ish%, but the longer it ran, it dropped. After about 10 mins of idling, it was down to 67.2%. Wasn't fluctuating around really... maybe up or down 1-2% at most. I assume that's acceptable?

Anyways, decided to return the truck to stock this afternoon and drive home from work just to see how she acts. Usually run Eric's AggStreet. To my surprise, no more laggy ole girl! Boost comes up as it should. Before I'd see 3-5 psi with the cruise set at 65... stock file I'm getting 7-10psi at the same speed. Step on it, and it'll climb fast and hard to about 24psi, and actually hold it unlike before. Makes no sense to me. Why is this happening tuned, but not on stock? Also have Matt's SRL that I never run because the truck apparently hates it and shifts like crap (second issue). Loaded it the other day, and it's just as laggy as Eric's tune. Don't understand why tuned it's so laggy, but untuned it isn't. It hasn't always been this way. Been tuned for almost 40k miles. Only thing I've done differently lately is load up Eric's FICM tunes. I don't see where that would cause this issue at all.

Ok, second issue is shifting. Truck hasn't shifted right since I bought it to be honest. Lately (past 6mths I guess), it has what I call a quick shift. 1-2 and 2-3 happen really fast... like before I hit 25mph no matter the pedal %. 3-5 will hold (will wind to 3200rpms if I'm on it hard enough), but then once it shifts to 5, it'll simultaneously shift to 6 and lock the TQ almost instantly. I've talked to Eric about this issue, and he's sent me numerous tweaks to that tune... only one helped to amount to much. The one that helped seemed to make the 1-2 and 2-3 shift hold a little bit.. still not like it should though..., but it will hold 3-5, 5-6 and lockup as it should. Unless I mash on it (45ish% pedal and up), it'll still simulataneously shift to 6 and lock the TQ instantly after making the 3-5 shift. If I'm on it, shifts are pretty harsh. 3-5 and TQ lock will almost break the tires loose on wet pavement. Jars the whole truck... way too harsh. Now... reverting back to returning to stock today. Truck shifted 100% better on stock programming. Some of the shifts are still a little quick, but it'll wind out the gears if you mash on it all the way through, and they are all smooth and instant. I don't get it. SRL... it's basically undriveable. It slams through the gears so fast I can't even count them. Super harsh, like if I stomp it, it'll shift all the way through the gears and lock the TQ before I hit 50mph. Spoke with Matt a while back and he sent me SRL 1.1 and 1.2 1.1 shifts basically the same, 1.2 sucks in traffic. It's like it wants to lock the TQ, but it won't. Don't understand why shifting gets worse the bigger the tune I run. Does this somewhat on my tow files, but not bad, and if I have a load behind the truck, the shifts are perfect.

Things I've changed recently...
New OSS sensor
New acc pedal assembly

No change with either. Part of me thinks its a biased sensor somewhere, but just changing sensors gets expensive quick. I've watched everything I can think of with AE. Nothing looks out of the norm. VSS matches actual speed, computer is commanding the shifts when they actually happen, etc. Talked with Mark K. some about it. He isn't familiar with AE, so it's hard to translate the data I get to him. I'm going to talk with Eric again and see what he says. Just scratching my head trying to figure out what's going on. Was planning on pulling the turbo, EBP and tube and cleaning this weekend, but now I'm not so sure I need to. The slow building of boost I'm sure is something simple and I'll figure it out eventually. But this shifting issue is driving me crazy.

So, what say ye gents? Any opinions? Sorry this post got so long. I get long winded at times when I'm trying to explain something.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 05:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: My turn to ask for help...

Do you have any MAP readings?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Listed them KOEO and KOER in my first post.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Got out this morning and checked over every boot... no visible cracks. No soot around the up-pipes either. Wife has something planned for this afternoon so pulling the EBP sensor and tube will have to wait until tomorrow. I don't think there will be an issue there, but figured why not.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 12:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Don't know how I missed that! If your EBP goes up your MAP will usually rise too.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Yea I forgot to look at that. I'll have to hook AE up again an run down the road and watch some things.

Still makes no sense to me why it does it tuned, but not stock.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Think I got it figured out..boost issue anyways. Pulled the turbo today...was just a bit on the nasty side. Turned the unison ring by hand and you could feel it hanging up. Liked to never got the halves separated. I don't think it's ever been apart. Took it for a quick spin up the road afterwards with Eric's tune loaded and it's 100% better. Immediate boost off the line, no more lag. Made one pretty good run from a stop and it shot to 25psi quick and held it there. Shifts felt better too. I've never gotten 25 psi out of that thing. I'll run it harder tomorrow and see how much it really did help.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Fixing Broken Stuff

Your KOEO and KOER data looks good, I just compared it to a good data stream, You EPB is 2.5 higher KOER, so I don't think that's the problem. When I do a turbo, I take it apart and tape it all up and sandblast the rust off, then take a scotch pad to the unison ring, wash it up in the parts cleaning tank, then put it back together with a little anti-seize.

2015 Challenger HellCat Redline Red 8sp
1997 F350 4X4 CCLB PSD
2004 Jetta TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 11mm pump S7 PP764's 3bar MAP
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Big dumb redneck

Garage

No access to a sandblaster here, so it was scotchbrite all the way. Put about 50 miles on it today. Building and holding boost as it should. Shifts are much better. I keep smelling burning oil though. I got quite a bit all over the turbo during the disassembly and cleaning. Can't find a leak anywhere now, so I guess it's still burning all that off. Figured 50 miles would have burned all that off by now, but maybe not. Going to load SRL here in a bit and take a ride. That'll be the true test if my shifting issues have been boost related, because before the cleaning SRL was undriveable.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Well, SRL is still undriveable. Still doing the same thing. Bangs through the gears before I ever hit 50mph. 3-5lbs of boost just cruising around. Guess she just doesn't like that tune.

AND, loaded Eric's tune back on there.... ended up doing that simultaneous 5, 6, TQ lock on me again once. Seems like that damn turbo is sticking again too... maybe I'm just being paranoid. This is getting frustrating. I couldn't get the unison ring or the flange that the vanes ride on good and shiny when I cleaned it. I used medium and fine scrotchbrite pads, and stuck at it until the pads just flat wore out. Used up one just on one side of the unison ring. Started to take a 200grit disc to it, but figured that might not be such a good idea! The facing behind the exhaust wheel did have some pitting in it, but it cleaned up pretty well and wasn't really all that rough to the touch. No pitting in the unison ring at all, but like I said, no matter how much I went over it, I couldn't get it real shiny. No shaft play which is good. Did seem to be just a little wear in the VGT lever that controls the unison ring, but it wasn't anything major.

Considering the 2 halves were nearly rusted shut makes me worry about this thing a little. Almost looks like it sat for a while at some point. I'd hate to break the news to the wife that I need to be on the lookout for a new turbo! She wouldn't take that news too well I don't think.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
BPD FICM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode