instrument lights dimming - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

instrument lights dimming

While I was gone on a trip last week my trucks batteries died. These are brand new batteries but I charged them both back up and truck started fine. Today I noticed that when my headlights would kick on my instrument and radio display were flickering. Going to get it in my shop and check the alternator voltage. Also wondering if I have a bad ground some place? Anyone else ever run across this or have an opinion?

05 F250 SCLB. 75k Water filter, blue spring upgrade,Magnaflow 4" turbo back system w/muffler and SCT tuner with custom tunes by Drew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Banned

Re: instrument lights dimming

Only time I have seen that is with either bad batteries or a bad alternator.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well went out to start it to go to lunch and dead as a door nail. See if I can get her jumped and up to our back door here at work so I can test the alternator and batteries. Was so low that it reset the clock and presets on my radio. I am sure this is not healthy for my FICM

05 F250 SCLB. 75k Water filter, blue spring upgrade,Magnaflow 4" turbo back system w/muffler and SCT tuner with custom tunes by Drew.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

So both batteries are down to 330 cca. Charging them back up now so I can start her up and see what the alt is doing.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Banned

Not good for the FICM. Dont keep trying to crank if it wont. And usually, once the batteries are shot, charging them up wont help....
Keep us posted.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

These batteries are less than 3 weeks old is what has me scratching my head. If alternator wasn't charging wouldn't a SEL come on? I did notice when I had my Torque app running the other day that the voltage readings were staying down around 13v then would bounce up some then back down. Never really did steady out. Truck wouldn't start 3 weeks ago and batteries were weak and 3 and 1/2 years old so I replaced them. When I say won't start I mean it won't even crank it just sits there and clicks. After I charge batteries up she will start right up on just a few revolutions.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Banned

It sounds like your alternator was not charging them. 90% of the time you replace the batteries, you must replace the alternator at the same time. Same goes with replacing the alternator. And obviously, the batteries must be replaced at the same time.
I would check over all of your wiring. If everything is in top shop, then get your batteries warrantied, and replace the alternator.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Just got done starting the truck and running through the tests on our Midtronics tester. Batteries were at 1000cca, starter pulled 11.03 volts and then the alt started out at 12.52 volts and once truck kicked to high idle it went as high as 13.17 volts. Going to put a new alt on in morning because I am sure 13.17 is low for that alt. Shoot the old one on our race car puts out 14.2 all the time. Truck is my daily driver so are my short jaunts to work just killing the old girl?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Banned

IIRC, anywhere between 13 and 14.3 volts is passable. Mine stays around 13.7, but I have the 140 amp one, the stock one is 110amp
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 04:20 PM
PSN Veteran

You must check both voltage and amperage! 13.1 volt at 100 amps is ok. 13.1 volts at 1 amp is not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode