06 6.0 shifting issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

06 6.0 shifting issues

I have an 06 f250. It has around 180,000 miles of 1/3 towing, 1/3 highway, and 1/3 ranch miles. I am running innovative tunes and since I got them, I havent been happy with the shifts. But more recently, it seems to be getting worse. I have multiple issues.

1. When shifting in any gear with any of the tunes, it has a slight hesitation after each shift then has a very hard shift into each gear. It doesn't feel like a shift kit, but just a hesitation, then a hard shift that doesn't feel right.

2. When towing in a tow tune, on flat land and maybe 1/4-1/2 throttle going 0-60, it'll shift 1-2, 2-3, 3-5, 5-3, 3-5. It acts like it doesn't know which gear it wants to be in. But eventually settles in 5th when it's up at 60.

3. When going into reverse, it takes a second or 2 to actually get into gear. In that 1-2 seconds, it seems like it's just clutches slipping.

4. When in the stock tune, it seems to shift fine.

After all these symptoms started getting worse, I took it to the dealer hoping that changing the oil, filter and the main drive solenoid (I think that's the proper name. It's the middle solenoid in the rear bank) would make it shift better. I replaced the solenoid with an after market solenoid that's supposed to let more oil through.

None of that helped. I then talked to innovative and they suggested getting my truck re flashed then getting the tunes re-written. Again no difference. I then tried resetting the computer by leaving the batteries off for a few hours. Still no difference. I'm now wondering if my transmission is ruined, needs rebuilding, or if there is anything else I can do. If you have any advice, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Re: 06 6.0 shifting issues

Try disconnecting the batteries again, and remove the tunes. Does that make it shift correctly, after allowing for some time to adapt?

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 PM
PSN Newb

I've got an 07 with innovative tunes and I experienced *some* of the issues that you have such as the delay and then a hard shift (on 2-3 especially) which doesn't happen with the stock tune. I decreased the shift pressure percentage within the tune options on the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 which helped a bit. It's not "perfect" but it's good enough for me in my daily drive. I don't tow anything other than a motorcycle in the bed so I don't know if towing something heavy would make it worse. I never bothered bringing it up to Innovative since I'm good with it now. I run their extreme street tune as my daily tune usually. You are not the first person I've seen complain about weird trans shifting issues while running IDP tunes on the forums though. Seems to be hit or miss I guess

2007 Ford F250 CCSB - Daily Driver
KC Turbo, WPE Manifold, Fuel System, Exhaust, Studded, Deleted.
670RWHP / 1153RWTQ-Fuel Only

2000 Ford Lightning SVT - Weekend Toy
Built Motor, Whipple , Heads, Cams, Fuel System, Exhaust, Suspension, Full interior with AC
10.9 @ 124mph on 18" DR's on Pump Gas

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 03:40 AM
PSN Newb

I have a Live Wire with 5 of Innovative Diesel custom tunes 3 of which are extreme tunes. I had them for about year. I like the mileage with the tunes and how the truck runs. But the transmission shifts way too hard for a daily driver. Every time it shifts it's like getting kicked by a horse! After running them for a few thousand miles I have the same delays going into gear. Not good for a daily driver or for U-joints. They haven't been able to correct the problem either. So now I run Vivian's tunes and the transmission shifts great. Mileage isn't as good. But it's defiantly better then the alternative. I will probably be trying Matt at Gearheads tune next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode