6.0 Lost Power, "Wrench" Light on Dash, Codes - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
MDM
Apprentice Wrencher

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia (yes, it's a state!) area
Unhappy 6.0 Lost Power, "Wrench" Light on Dash, Codes

This is my best friend's truck.

2006 F250 6.0l manual transmission (six-speed L+1-5). 180,000 miles. Fairly recent purchase. Unknown maintenance history. Has one of those ZillaRaider(?) six-setting performance gizmos on it. Is supposed to have "EGR delete" but the EGR valve looks to be on the engine like in the pictures, so IDK (how do you tell?). Had no exhaust after the cat (was for sale separately) but my buddy had a single "straight-pipe" exhaust put on from the cat back. Did oil/filter and fuel filters (both) change right after purchase.

He turned the gizmo knob down to 2 or 3. Still ran great. Not "race car" great, but "better drop a gear to pass this old coot that's going 40 in a 55mph zone while there's a little bit of straight road - oh <BLEEP!> we're going 100" great (lol).

Engine light came on. Had it scanned at GenericAutoCrap (I think it was an O'Reilly Auto Parts) and was told EGR valve. Figured it needed to be cleaned, was waiting on Spring (now waiting on Spring... weather) to do so. Still ran great.

Couple weeks ago he said sometimes if it's fully warmed up and he shuts it off and tries to restart it within a couple minutes, it "takes more cranking than it should." But still ran great.

He's working 12-hour shifts about 1½ hours from here, so he got one of those campers you stick in the truck bed (NOT a pop-up, hangs over cab). But campground has been deserted for the Winter, said with no television, no Internet, and no people he felt like he was in solitary confinement, lol. So today he asked me to ride up with him in case he needed a hand to bring his camper back; he's going to drive back and forth for a while. No problem, it fit on his F250 fine.

We weren't in a hurry, so he just set the cruise on 85. Heading back south on the Interstate... He said, "Hey, man, what's this wrench light on my dash mean? That's new." And then, "Wow, my cruise dropped to about 70 and it never does that, it's always within a mile or two." And then...

We got passed by some guy in a Toyota Prius!!! <<<Not good .

For a while, there, I was afraid I was going to have to post in the "Roadside Repairs" forum.

About ten minutes before the thing went all geriatric on us I had asked him if the camper was slowing it down any and he said, "No, only way I can tell it's on there is that it rides better." Go figure.

Anyway, I looked in his owner's manual as we limped down the big road and - appropriately enough - read that the wrench icon on his IP signified that the truck had gone into "limp-home" mode .

We got back to town and stopped at another generi-parts to have it scanned. Here are the codes:
P0401 "Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected"
P2290 "Injector Control Pressure Too Low"
P0299 "Turbo/SuperCharger Under Boost" (Guessing that one should read "Insufficient Boost," since it's a turbo's job to be "Under Boost" .)

After the scan, he started it back up and no wrench. It ran fine on the way to drop me off at my house. But he's really worried about trying to drive it to work tomorrow night and doesn't have another vehicle available. So he could really (, really) use some help on this. Internet-based brain type help would be a big help all by itself, but if you're in the Parkersburg, WV area and know these engines, I could give him your number (or vice versa) since neither one of us is a mechanic, lol.

Thanks (MUCH!) in advance!

Signed,
Dusted - by a Prius

EDIT: Moderators, if this is in the wrong area, please move with my thanks (and apologies).

--
Mountain Dew Maniac

"I don't even get to own the truck - I just get to work on the thing whenever my buddy calls and says it needs to be cussed at and bled on again."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MDM; 03-26-2014 at 01:24 AM. Reason: It's in there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
MDM
Apprentice Wrencher

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia (yes, it's a state!) area
Exclamation "Blue Spring" & "EGR Gasket Kit" PART NUMBER?

Anybody?

I did some hunting for him: Read about getting a "gasket and o-ring kit" for cleaning the EGR valve. Only thing is, I called the local Ford dealer and the guy didn't know about any kit that has two o-rings and a gasket - he mentioned two or three different things and couldn't tell me which is what. Is there not a kit that has everything together? Got part number? I found a big giant part number cross-reference list for NaviStar parts, but that thing must be in code or something and - again - I found what could be multiple choices. So... Got part number?

Abot the injector pressure code, I read about the "blue spring" fuel pressure regulator spring kit and that same NaviStar list has multiple choices. I think my buddy would rather get the parts at the local(ish, kind of) NaviStar dealer if it doesn't cost any more, but I know he doesn't have much money... and definitely not money to purchase two, three, or more parts just hoping that he'll manage to get the right one for his truck. If possible, would like the number for both the entire kit and just what has to be purchased (going to try and talk him into getting the kit because I'll have to help and I am sort of a klutz).

Anyone? Again, it's a 2006 F250 SuperDuty with the 6.0l turbodiesel and manual transmission. Need exact part numbers for the correct ones of the above parts.

Also, anything else that could help with the three trouble codes in the first post? Not certain this will fix them, but the EGR code is pretty specific and with 180,000 miles on a recent purchase, it's probably - from what I have read - a safe bet that both the EGR needs cleaned and his FPR spring is weak. So that most likely needs done regardless.

He's got to go in to work tonight. I'm getting ready to go to work myself and won't have much time to work on his truck between the time I get finished and the time he has to travel... and he'll have to go get his own parts in the meantime. He doesn't really do computers, so I'm trying to figure out what to tell him in the next 35 or 40 minutes before my ride gets here. He's afraid to drive it like it is now and he's still in his probationary period at his job,

Please help .

Thanks,
Mountain Dew Maniac

MDM

--
Mountain Dew Maniac

"I don't even get to own the truck - I just get to work on the thing whenever my buddy calls and says it needs to be cussed at and bled on again."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM
PSN Local

Re: 6.0 Lost Power, "Wrench" Light on Dash, Codes

Ok, I can't answer all of your questions, but it appears you are going down the wrong path. I will help guide you in the right direction.

First, the EGR code:
The code is for low flow. If you have an EGR delete kit, there will be ZERO flow. No amount of work on the valve will make this go away. The only way to fix this is to restore the EGR system to stock, or use a programmer that can tell it to ignore the EGR. (SCT)

Second, Tuner:
I have no idea what tuner he has. As a general rule, you can't really "change on the fly" with 6.0 tunes. (not 100% sure on this). I would completely remove the tuner and drive it (set back to stock). Some of those codes could be from the tuner adjusting things it shouldn't and confusing the PCM.

Third, Code Readers:
For the problems you are talking about, you need to scan it with a real code scanner. The parts store ones can only read generic codes. You need to see all of the powertrain codes.

Fourth, Blue Spring:
They pretty much all use the same kit. One kit comes with a new cover, the other does not. While the blue spring is a good part to put in, it will not fix your problem. The "P2290 "Injector Control Pressure Too Low" code is referring to the High Pressure Oil system pressure. It could be a real problem or it could be that the questionable tuner is manipulating the pressure on the fly and the PCM is getting confused.

In conclusion: I would remove the tuner, clear the codes, and see if most of your problems go away. If they don't, leave the tuner off, get it scanned by a higher level scanner and go from there.

2006 F-250 6.0 Auto CC SB 4x4

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:30 PM
PSN Local

On another note, if he was having a hard start issue that will also throw the ICP to low code as well.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 03:07 AM
PSN Newb

I have a 2005 6.0 3/4 T . At times when pulling with cruise on a small "wrench" alert light will appear and the 6.0 will no longer accelerate when the "wrench" alert light is on. The two times it is appeared I pull over and kill the engine. It restarts quickly with no light on and functions normally. If I don't engage the cruise the light never appears again.

Any thoughts.

DT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 12:33 PM
PSN Local

The tuner may be a Banks or bully dog with the in cab six position switch.
As already stated with a egr delete, the light will likely come on, you cannot "fix" it without renewing the egr system.

07 F350 CCLB 6.0 Auto 4x4. 4" mbrp exhaust with stock cat cut back to 4", grand rock 4" inlet 8" diameter muffler, with 3 1/2" down tube. SCT X3 with tunes from 5 star. Egr delete, mbrp y pipe, blue spring, 6.4 banjo's, coolant filter running Rotella ELC, Rotella T6 5-40 full synthetic oil. Sp wheel. Sold!!!

Looking for the next one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode