Transmission Knowledge - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Transmission Knowledge

I have a 2003 F250 6.0l and the trans temp gauge started doing the jumping between cold and hot and then occasionally working fine thing. Obviously, there is a problem with the sensor. I did notice during this time that the trans would shift hard when not reading right. I ordered a new sensor and am waiting on it to come in the mail. Today the trans seemed to shift slowly at times, fast and hard at times and once did not want to shift in OD then started to shutter a bit. Any knowledge would be much appreciated!

I should mention that I had the Turbo replaced a couple weeks ago and the shop flashed over/removed my custom tunes. I tried today, after talking to Eric from Innovative, to put one of the tunes back on. this is when I realized that they had removed my old tunes the wrong way and now I have to send my tuner in to get it unlocked. Could this be a possible source of my issues?

2003 F250 King Ranch 6.0L. MBRP SS exhaust, Cat Delete, SCT Tuner with Innovative Tunes, Sinister Coolant Filter, 4" lift, 35's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Re: Transmission Knowledge

why the hell did the shop flash your PCM/ECM ? I would ask them and maybe let them know they cost u 150 bucks plus shipping then make a label for your OBD stating no re flash

I think the issues are your sender like you mentioned and the shifting is to
not to mention the system is in adaptive relearn from the flash

but these are guesses on my part Mark K may chime in with the undisputable facts

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
why the hell did the shop flash your PCM/ECM ? I would ask them and maybe let them know they cost u 150 bucks plus shipping then make a label for your OBD stating no re flash

I think the issues are your sender like you mentioned and the shifting is to
not to mention the system is in adaptive relearn from the flash

but these are guesses on my part Mark K may chime in with the undisputable facts
Man, I hope that's all it is..... I don't need another costly repair so soon!

2003 F250 King Ranch 6.0L. MBRP SS exhaust, Cat Delete, SCT Tuner with Innovative Tunes, Sinister Coolant Filter, 4" lift, 35's.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 01:04 AM
PSN Veteran

Replace the internal harness as well as tft sensor both have been updated. sensor issues are common and the wire harness likes to chafe and short on valve body. Both will cause temp gauge to spike

Fixing ford diesels since before they had turbochargers
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

The transmission is always in adaptive learn. It learns continuously over the life of the truck. It never stops adapting.

Fix the temp sender issue then see if the trans is working right.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The transmission is always in adaptive learn. It learns continuously over the life of the truck. It never stops adapting.

Fix the temp sender issue then see if the trans is working right.
Thanks for the help! I'll be changing the sender and hopefully the harness this weekend and will monitor it after that.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Administrator

so whats the term u would use when the PCM is cleared
and the transmision is shifting funny until u either do the below or drive it long enough to start shifting normal ? relearn period ?? IDK

Quote:
5r110 Shift Relearning Strategy TorqShift Harsh/Slipping Engagements, Upshifts, and/or Downshifts: If these symptoms are experienced after the batteries have been disconnected, then it is due to the transmission adaptive strategy being cleared from the computer. This may occur when the vehicle is delivered new from the factory as well. 1. Warm the engine and transmission to operating temperature with all accessories off. 2. Idle engine for one minute with engine warm and all accessories off. 3. Idle engine for one minute with A/C on. Then: 1. While driving, perform three series of upshifts at light, medium and heavy throttle. 2. While stopped, perform three sets of gear engagements (N-R, N-D, D-R, R-D) with the brake pedal firmly depressed and waiting three seconds between each engagement. Perform these steps once in normal mode and once in tow/haul.

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

I'd call that a faster way to get the learned tables filled in.

Mark

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Administrator

well coin an term for it

when the tables are empty we can't say it's in adaptive relearn because you schooled us better and we know it's always learning but when the KAM is wiped has no adaptive "table" it is using programmed defaults ?? seems like they would have been smoother rather than
Quote:
Harsh/Slipping Engagements, Upshifts, and/or Downshifts:

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 AM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

Yes, it uses programmed defaults.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode