Problem after an Injector install - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Problem after an Injector install

My buddy and I just replaced the 6th injector on my 6.0. Everything went awesome, truck ran better than it had since I got it. Smooth and quiet. On my way home she started idling rough and ended up dying in the road. I had to call a tow to get her home.
Symptoms:
No power.
White smoke, A LOT.
Struggled to start and when it did it would die.
It was almost as if only half of the injectors were working...
Getting my hands on a Pegasus later today to see what the hell went wrong. It made it even worse because the damn thing was running so smooth. Any ideas on what this is? My battery is now dead, so I'm waiting for that to charge up a bit. I think I honestly just need someone to tell me it's happened before and been fixed. I have had nothing but issues with this truck since I've gotten it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Good ol boy

Re: Problem after an Injector install

Have you scanned it for any codes? Sounds like the injector wasn't torqued correctly and it backed out on you after you drove it a while, also check and make sure all the ficm connections are seated in it properly.

Studded and Deleted
5 inch axle dump
Back Road Performance Tuned
Barder Stage 2
58v IDP Ficm tune
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:44 PM
PSN Newb

White smoke, sounds like you may have smoked a head gasket.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Nothing on a regular code reader, I'm bringing home the diagnostics computer later on and am gonna get a read on it. I think that sounds like something that definitely may have happened... Everything was running very smoothly up until that moment, so it would make sense. The FICM connectors were still seated properly as far as we could tell from the road, we will need to get in the later on and really check everything over once I get a diagnostic on it.
It's my first injector change on this engine and my buddy did most of the work while I watched what he did, so I should have expected a problem from the get go. It made it worse when something went wrong after I thought we were in the clear.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Welcome to owning a 6.0! Haha...

As its been said already, get a good scanner on it and see what comes up. Easier to start diagnosing after that.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

No ####... I kind of figured that the rumors about this engine were coming from irresponsible owners who didn't keep up on maintenance and other things. I'm hoping that once I get this problem under wraps I'm done for a while. Good lord... Next problem that comes up, I'm gonna put a band-aid on it and trade the thing in for a 7.3! Or just get a bicycle and throw automobiles out the door for a while. Lol
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Nah, don't hate on the ole girl too bad. These can be made into very reliable engines. Buying a used 6.0 is a crap shoot. You don't know how it was driven, if they kept up with maintenance, etc. I'm on my second 6.0, and no major issues with either. Just the basic normal stuff (oil cooler, injector, etc). Fix the problems the RIGHT way as they arise, stay on top of your maintenance, and she'll last you a long long time.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Banned

Where is the truck located?
What does the white smoke smell like? Is it a sweet smell, or just raw diesel fuel?
You will need a program like AutoEnginuity or the Ford IDS in order to be able to properly troubleshoot.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks 6Speed, I really do love my truck... I'm just a little overwhelmed at the moment with her.

The truck's hanging out in my driveway, I'm in the south suburbs of Chicago. The starter's fried, so before we can really figure anything out yet that needs to be replaced. Took it off last night and getting the new one today. It snowed here last night and is really cold. Lack of a heated garage will more than likely delay the starter installation until tomorrow. The smoke is straight up raw fuel. No sweet smell whatsoever, so not a head gasket.
A few tractor mechanics I know think that an o-ring may have broken... We shall see within the next few days. So far no codes, but I haven't been able to get her cranked over and I know that can sometimes throw it off. Been a rough first year with this thing, I'm really praying that proper maintenance and fixing her issues now will give me a good reliable truck later on and pay off. She only has 60k.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Banned

Something tells me its injector related. I was just in Chi-town a couple days ago.
Find out #1, if he cleaned out the injector hold down bolt holes.
And #2, ask them what they torque the hold down bolts to.

sent from my smart car

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode