Leaking degas cap but no combustion gases - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Leaking degas cap but no combustion gases

Hello I am new here, just got an 06 and it is leaking past the degas cap, didn't show any combustion gases in the cooling system, the garage thought it was the EGR cooler because there was moisture under the EGR, so did a EGR delete and replaced the cap and now is still doing the same thing, did the bubble test again and there is a steady stream of bubbles and if I rev the motor it increases but am confused with not showing gases in the cooling system? Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:07 AM
PSN Newb

Re: Leaking degas cap but no combustion gases

sometimes if your block tester liquid is outdated, or is already green, it wont show a failure. take the small coolant hose off the degas tank going to the intake, and install a t fitting and put a gauge on it and drive it. if your coolant pressure goes over 12 psi under load, ur head gaskets are shot. especially if your cooler has already been replaced. hope this is helpful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks, was really hoping there was another reason, bought the truck from a friend who owns a garage I have known for 25 years based on the maintenance records but the body was a bit rougher than I would have liked, the problem is he gave me the SCT programmer with it and wanted to try the the performance tune so his mechanic put it in the day I bought it and that might be the reason it blew the head gasket and said you shouldn't have put the tune into it but his mech did it. One of the local diesel guys quoted around 7k, another place it 5k and I don't feel I should be on the hook for this

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:00 PM
PSN Local

You could have a weak cap also. Do you know what your oil temp is? I just went thru the whole headstuds/delete process and turns out my headgaskets were just fine.I'd try a new cap, delete the egr, and replace the oil cooler.

04 F-350 4X4 6.0 Auto,XCAL 3 with Gearhead tunes, ARP's, IPR GEN 2 delete, 58 volt FICM from Swamps, Performance Machine coolant filter with ELC, Blue spring mod, and a Scangauge 2 to watch everything.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Administrator

the suggested gauge will clear it all up one way or another in a short drive with a few WOT runs

the exhaust gas testing seems unreliable on this motor and i have seen some truck only leak with tunes but stock they are fine so maybe you should run stock first for your test

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I am getting constant bubbles when I do the bubble test with the hose and increase when I increase the RPM's, running temps are fine according to the stock gauges, they sit in the middle of the range no matter how I drive it, I had the 65hp towing tune in it then just went back to the 50hp tune to see what happens and still getting seepage around the cap.
EGR cooler delete done but the EGR was left in place and installed a factory Ford cap after putting a aftermarket one on and when tested it was only hold 12-13 psi, drove it that day and seemed to be dry but after a 1.5 trip up some hills it was doing the same thing.
Owning for one day and this happens seems like it might have been like that before but I would like to think my friends would rip me off, already charged me for the EGR delete parts(760) but no labour and that seems high for parts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Administrator

I can't comment on your friend other than maybe you need to either hit this head on with him
or get it fixed somewhere else and learn not to buy certain things from friends like 6.0 Fords
being a ""mechanic"" He should have been smarter than to sell this to you if you are truly a friend without clear ground rules IMHO

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

That's what I struggled with, usually don't buy stuff from friends for this reasons and now it has bit me, I not sure how this will end but it I'm sure it will leave me bitter and will have to listen to wife
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Sounds to me like your "friend" unloaded a truck to you that he knew needed work.

$760 for just the delete? Umm yea, you can buy the delete a hell of a lot cheaper than $760. Find a new friend! Lol

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I agree but that is also the reason I bought it, unfortunately this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth considering how he is dealing with it and I am not comfortable with them even doing the job now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode