is it absolutely necessary to remove passenger side block plug when flushing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

is it absolutely necessary to remove passenger side block plug when flushing

I have green coolant and switching to elc. Do I really need to take the passengers side block out to drain....its a pain in the butt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 06:56 PM
PSN Newb

Re: is it absolutely necessary to remove passenger side block plug when flushing

Nope. You can do it without taking out that plug.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: is it absolutely necessary to remove passenger side block plug when flushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderscout View Post
Nope. You can do it without taking out that plug.
Do you think I will be able to get all the green coolant out if I dont?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 PM
PSN Newb

Based on my limited experience (1 flush on a 6.4) combined with what I read while researching how to do it, YES. You can get it all out but you won't get all the water you use to flush it with out. So remember that when you are filling it up with new coolant.

Use a concentrate plus distilled water as needed, not a 50/50 pre mix. I ended up putting around 4 1/2 gallons of coolant in and it topped off, if I remember correctly. So it does hold a significant amount of water.

The key is to keep flushing until you are getting good clean fluid back out. Then you know all the old stuff is out. Some of the ELC's allow for a "contamination" with old coolant up to certain percentage anyhow.

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Administrator

it's not a huge pain to drop the starter
and if u don't install the Fumoto valves but want to access the plug a few times doing a flush you leave the one starter bolt out until your done

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Im using 100% distilled water and no chemicals for the entire flushes if that matters
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 08:21 PM
PSN Newb

Won't mater. You'll still have water left over in there.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Administrator

you will be fine without the one plug removed
if i were trying to get sediment out I would say it's a must but your just coolant swapping

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Administrator

not sure I wouldn't go hose water multiple times to get the coolant out then go distilled
2 times to get the minerals out compressed air can force more out of the open block plug if you put it to the dagas bottle carefully

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 09:44 PM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
not sure I wouldn't go hose water multiple times to get the coolant out then go distilled
2 times to get the minerals out compressed air can force more out of the open block plug if you put it to the dagas bottle carefully
Most definitely!!!!! on the hose water. Flush with the cheap stuff then a few rinses with distilled and add coolant. Don't waste $$$.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode