gauges vs edge - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

gauges vs edge

Lets hear some opinions on gauges vs a monitoring system. Im looking to install something here soon. Edge insight looks like a good deal, but how accurate is that thing? Worried about something failing and giving me false readings with that thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:24 AM
PursuitInterceptor

Re: gauges vs edge

The analog sending units can fail as well. The space to use 10 analog gauges compared to using my dash mounted Insight CTS is why I'd say use a monitor.

Anything made by humans will always break down at some point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 AM
PSN Local

I would go with gauges the edge is simple to install. but on the other hand if you do any turbo mods or boost fooler it will only read what the comp reads. to read everything right u will have to get the EAS kit. so you can add some temp readings and fuel pressure. it was cheaper for me to get the 4 gauges I needed and I trust them more. its mostly personal preference just what ever you like and the gauges you need. most people get EGT, boost, trans temp, fuel press,

E99 F-250 Mfd Jan 98, 6637, 6fin billet comp wheel, from riffraff.com, stage I & II ebp delete, 86ed, ScanGauge II, TJM bull bar, bosch field burners, 4" downpipe 4" single stack, Hutch n Harpoon Mod, galaxy dx 44v, PHP Hyrda

E99, F350 CCLB, DRW, RR comp wheel, Superchip 1705, couple other mods

chris

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Im old school and like gauges. I want oil, water temp. Fuel pressure. Turbo, and egt.....

Starts getting spendy looking for gauges, that's why I ask about the edge.
What gauges are you guys using also?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:42 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

I've run both on my truck and I like the Edge CTS better just for the amount of things you can have up on the screen. Also if you are pricing out quality gauges with the pod and other things needed for install the price comes out pretty much the same.

FWIW I wish I went with the Edge unit first, it would have saved me some cash, readings are spot on with what my autometers read too.

03 CCSB King Ranch 4X4 6.0, IDP Xstreet, Muffler delete. [email protected]

00 CCSB, ZF6, 2WD. RIP 1-22-12

06 Mitsubishi Evolution IX SSL, LR 2.0, TS EFR9180, E85, 4 slicks and a chute...maybe some other stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Camaro, awaiting turbo LSX and chassis work
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:58 AM
PSN Local

also I use the scangauge II for reading codes and reading the icp and ipr, it will read many other things just have to goto website and see what it will read for the 6.0 it don't read trans temp, fuel press, for the 7.3. but it works great for diagnostics in some cases. and it will clear and read codes just like the edge.

E99 F-250 Mfd Jan 98, 6637, 6fin billet comp wheel, from riffraff.com, stage I & II ebp delete, 86ed, ScanGauge II, TJM bull bar, bosch field burners, 4" downpipe 4" single stack, Hutch n Harpoon Mod, galaxy dx 44v, PHP Hyrda

chris
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ive been using my sct tuner to read codes, but it doesn't tell me much... p0278 keeps coming up. Cyclinder 6 contribution balance. Just had all 8 injectors, head studs, icp sensor, ficm, and tranny rebuilt. truck revs up high even tuned, than drops back down to normal idle right away. Also sounds like it misfires when cold until I got the brake. That's why I want gauges, no idea what's going on without them. I don't run the tunes anymore because of it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:57 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

I like my pillar gauges, but wish I'd gone with the CTS just because you can monitor more things. Gets old hooking the laptop up and using AE to read what other things are doing.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:58 AM
PSN Local

how old is the cps in it? and do you know what brand or color it is? those things can cause these truck to do funny things. if you don't know what kind it is I would buy a international or ford one and try it just stick other one in dash they fail with no warning and in some cases often. DO NOT get aftermarket one or if you do you better buy 50 of them lol

chris
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 06:21 AM
"Slap hands slap hands"

I have the CTS and love it for gauges a lot of options and settings to play with. I added EGT to mine had no issues also great options to add on back up camera.

JB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode