Cold Start Issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Cold Start Issues

I bought a 2005 F250 CC SB a few weeks ago and for some reason it wont start below 35-40. If it is plugged in for a couple hours it starts fine. Little white smoke at startup that goes away in a couple minutes or so and it runs great (no stumbling, shaking, knocking etc.) Today its around 25 degrees out(NW Pa) and i decided to check out the FICM voltages. To my surprise i got ~58v when cycling the glow plugs and ~58v when cranking. Couldn't get an idling voltage because it wouldn't start. The previous owner never mentioned that the 58V conversion was done. While i was under the hood with the multimeter i tested the battery voltages ~14v while sitting and it drops to ~12v when cranking.

Could it be the previous owner (from west Virginia) put a heavier weight oil in due to the warmer climate? My thought is the thicker oil(when cold) doesn't actuate the injectors properly which keeps it from starting. Am i just expecting too much from a diesel in cold weather?

I am new to diesels, and all i know has been from lurking on this forum.

If you have any suggestions or things that i should check please share.

Thanks

Mods include Studs, EGR Delete, Straight pipe, 58v FICM, edge juice w/ attitude, blue spring mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 02:26 AM
Big dumb redneck

Garage
Re: Cold Start Issues

Sounds like a case of stiction. Try a 5W40 oil next oil change. Should help if you are currently running a 15W. Alot of people swear by RevX. Might consider pouring a couple bottle in on your next oil change as well.

If nothing else, just plug it up the night before. Doesn't hurt anything to plug it up every night.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thanks for the reply
i already bought a bottle of AR9100 but i want to wait for the next oil change with the correct weight. Plugging it in is fine in the morning but getting home from work is another story. The insanely cold winter isnt helping either

long term, what is the fix for stiction? new injectors? i have heard many times that oil additives will only mask the problem

2005 F250 CCSB
Studded
EGR Delete
Straight Pipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue Spring Fuel Kit
Edge Juice with attitude
58V FICM

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 02:32 AM
PSN Veteran

Sounds like a glow plug issue to me

Pmax & batmowheel
Banks technicooler
Arp's
Warren 175/75's
Fass titanium 125 w/ sump
Volant intake
5" mrbp turbo back 6" tip
Reg. return w/6.4 banjos and oil and coolant filter
Sct itsx on iPad w/ Drew's tunes
Idp ficm tune
Snow water/meth
Empty bank account
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 04:42 AM
PSN Local

I'm going to vote Glow Plug issues also. If your glow plugs are working your voltages should be lower than that.

2006 F-250 6.0 Auto CC SB 4x4
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 04:46 AM
PSN Veteran

Check the glow plug harness it could be chaffing somewhere

Pmax & batmowheel
Banks technicooler
Arp's
Warren 175/75's
Fass titanium 125 w/ sump
Volant intake
5" mrbp turbo back 6" tip
Reg. return w/6.4 banjos and oil and coolant filter
Sct itsx on iPad w/ Drew's tunes
Idp ficm tune
Snow water/meth
Empty bank account
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Fixing Broken Stuff

The first thing I would do is check the glow plugs and scan it. Sometimes the connector on the GPGM is burnt, it is on the right valve cover. But by far the most common problem for your hard start problem is stiction. Now this can be tuff to diagnose because no scanner can give you the data to diagnose it, the only way to diagnose stiction is with a Hickok G2 tester, I've used one and it works and will 100% diagnose a stiction problem.
So the fix, the only way to fix this stiction issue 100% is with a set of Motorcraft injectors, anything else is just a band-aid, I've tried them all and then tested the results with the Hickok G2, they can help but won't fix the Stiction isssue.
I've seen a truck like yours, won't start in 30-40*, replace the injectors with Motorcrafts and they will start in -15 without being plugged in. U-tube has video's on how that tester works.
I used to own a shop and have one of those testers, I've seen it used on 100's of trucks. So if you have it hooked up on a cold engine, (overnight cold soak) and started the engine, you would see some of the stiction start to disappear after the first minute of run time, some injectors would take longer, some would never clear up, that's why it's tuff to diagnose. You have less then a minute window to catch it 100%.
So if your glow plugs work correctly, your battery's and starter are good, then your problem on a 6.0 is stiction pure and simple.

2015 Challenger HellCat Redline Red 8sp
1997 F350 4X4 CCLB PSD
2004 Jetta TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 11mm pump S7 PP764's 3bar MAP
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

i am not ruling out stiction completely but i am still leaning towards glow plugs. Today it was warm (40 deg) so i pulled the terminals off the GPCM and they look great. put them back on and got in the truck. Let the plugs cycle (the pre crank injector clatter was smooth) cranked the truck for about 5-10 seconds and it wouldn't start. Repeated a second time. lots of white smoke coming from the tailpipe while cranking. Third time it sputtered to life with nice smooth idle. Checking the tail pipe i saw some faint white smoke for a few minutes of idling then it clears up. i would think that stiction would create a stumble or rough idle.

Is there a way to test the GPCM and plugs without a scanner? there should be a way to just test the resistance of each glow plug from the harness but i couldn't figure out which pin was connected the correct cylinder.

2005 F250 CCSB
Studded
EGR Delete
Straight Pipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blue Spring Fuel Kit
Edge Juice with attitude
58V FICM
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:55 AM
Fixing Broken Stuff

Just unplug the glow plug harness and start checking resistance on the pins, if you have four that are same then I'd say its good.
A scanner is a must to diagnose these engines correctly.

2015 Challenger HellCat Redline Red 8sp
1997 F350 4X4 CCLB PSD
2004 Jetta TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 11mm pump S7 PP764's 3bar MAP
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

what would be your suggestion for a good scanner at a reasonable price?

2005 F250 CCSB
Studded
EGR Delete
Straight Pipe

Blue Spring Fuel Kit
Edge Juice with attitude
58V FICM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode