any way to bleed cooling system - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

any way to bleed cooling system

Truck was having issues staying warm at idle. Felt upper rad hose, to hot to hold. Felt hoses going to the heater core... not all that hot. Replaced t stat since I was going to replace the heater core, but now only have cold air blowing, no heat at all. Coolant level fine. Does this sound like an air bubble trapped? If so anyway to bleed the system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 12:14 PM
PursuitInterceptor

Re: any way to bleed cooling system

Run the Heat on high while you drive. The coolant flow should move the air along. Burp the degas bottle and drive some more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people my friend....those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

You dig.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 12:17 PM
"resident smarty pants"

No heat at all sounds like more than an air bubble (possible leaking head gaskets). Ford recommends filling with a RadKit Plus to make sure it is free of air pockets - but they are expensive! As Heavy Assault mentions, I have found that you can "burp" it a few times and it will eventually clear of air bubbles, if that is all that you have going on. I let the system get fully warm and then CAREFULLY vent the degas bottle (remove the cap - the quicker the better - as long as you protect yourself from possible liquid spray). SAFETY TIPS - Make sure that you have a proper coolant level (at or below the minimum level) so that you will be venting off gas and minimizing the chance to blow out hot liquid. Even with a proper coolant level, put a thick/heavy towel over the cap and top of the degas bottle to protect yourself and hands from liquid spray when you open it.

With typical 8-10 psig pressure and proper level, it should not spray out much, but the cap might have failed and it might be holding more pressure than 16-18 psig. Also, if there is a large air bubble internal to the system, it could cause it to vent more violently.

Then let it cool off and check the level. If you are removing air bubbles, you will see the cold level drop.

It will take multiple times of doing this to clear a system of air pockets.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:57 PM
PSN Veteran

Did you use a Ford thermostat? They usually have an air bleed built in. And do as posted above.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Administrator

the heater on high has no impact on how well the core is purged the heater always has the same flow unless your on max cool and they bypass/block is activated

i have a vac fill and honestly I have had the same results using it or a gravity fill

good tip on the t stat but I am with Bismic this may be a bigger issue

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ford did the heads with studs a couple months ago, but I worry they never fixed the problem. I guess I need to explain a little more. My oil cooler failed a month ago. I ended up having oil in the coolant. So I replaced all that, ran restore and vx9 or whatever is called through it. Replaced thermostat, replaced coolant filter, broke plastic nipple going to degas bottle on radiator. Ended up putting a brass fitting on the radiator. Filled the truck with elc cat rated coolant, no silicates. Had heat, no problems. Then the brass fitting ended up failing, so I replaced the radiator. after that I started having problems with the truck staying warm at idle. The water gauge would drop below normal temp and start blowing cooler air. So I figured bad thermostat, and since the hoses going to heater core were not hot, I had a bad heater. Replaced both last night, and now the water gauge doesn't drop. Sits right in the middle, but FREEZING cold air when I blast the heat. Drove 30 miles this morning, opened the degas cap, heard a little pressure come out. Coolant was a little below minimum before I took the cap off, than the coolant level raised to minimum. Still cold air.

Someone point me I'm the direction to check everything is working properly.

Also can someone explain to me how to check heads, and if there is a way to check off Ford actually put my studs in. I'm pretty fed up with them right now.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Administrator

you tee a psi gauge on the upper degas hose and place the gauge where you can see it (taped to windshield etc ) then take it out an run it hard and watch the gauge for spikes

make sure your heater bypass valve if equipped is not stuck shut

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 04:10 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunique09 View Post
Also can someone explain to me how to check heads, and if there is a way to check off Ford actually put my studs in. I'm pretty fed up with them right now.
i can see my front passenger side head bolt kinda behind the alternator. if you got studs, you'll see the threads of course lol

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd-250 View Post
i can see my front passenger side head bolt kinda behind the alternator. if you got studs, you'll see the threads of course lol
technically that's how you can verify if they installed that stud only

ask me what I have seen

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 04:40 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
technically that's how you can verify if they installed that stud only

ask me what I have seen
lol good point haha!

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode