Someone Skool Me on a Few PSD Q's - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
San Juan Cowboy

Someone Skool Me on a Few PSD Q's

Hey All,

Really have enjoyed the forum and have a few Qs on some stuff I've been reading hope the PSN guru's can shed some light.

1.) I read a lot of "Just broke in" when talking miles on an engine. How many miles are we talkin' about? 120K, 130K, 140K ?

2.) Read recently the 6.0 gets a bad rap on the HG blowing saying that they typically let go under heavy/extreme towing conditions. Reading this especially from the guys with lots and lots of miles with no issues. How true is this or is the HG blowing inevitable on all these engines?

3.) Regear when going to 35s or not? I believe I'm running 3.73 right now with 33s. I have a built Jeep and wouldn't think of running that big of tire without regearing but also realize there's a big difference between the two vehicles.

Thanks in advance. My mod list is big and trying to prioritize a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:19 PM
"Slap hands slap hands"

Re: Someone Skool Me on a Few PSD Q's

[QUOTE=OilHammer;4137617]Hey All,

Really have enjoyed the forum and have a few Qs on some stuff I've been reading hope the PSN guru's can shed some light.

1.) I read a lot of "Just broke in" when talking miles on an engine. How many miles are we talkin' about? 120K, 130K, 140K ?

2.) Read recently the 6.0 gets a bad rap on the HG blowing saying that they typically let go under heavy/extreme towing conditions. Reading this especially from the guys with lots and lots of miles with no issues. How true is this or is the HG blowing inevitable on all these engines?

3.) Regear when going to 35s or not? I believe I'm running 3.73 right now with 33s. I have a built Jeep and wouldn't think of running that big of tire without regearing but also realize there's a big difference between the two vehicles.

1.I have read a lot of different things on this my original understanding was that its around 100K but recently have been seeing around 120K I think every situation is different depending on the engine and how it has been used and driven in those miles.

2. the 6.0 to my understanding has less head bolts then the other 6.4 and 7.3 which obviously makes it easier for them to get stretched and the original motors weren't built with the head studs being as well built and torqued to spec as they should have been. I have 121K on my stock head bolts on my excursion and tow a 20ft boat and run a SCT tune along with other mods and have had 0 issues with my head bolts to this point.

3. not sure on the answer to this on but interested to hear responses from other as well as I plan on going up to 35" on my next set of tires.

please feel free to correct anything I am incorrect about other more experienced PSN guys.

JB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:13 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

on #2) I think a majority of the headgasket issues is from either poor maintenance, or heavy heavy usage.

apparently, there is a domino effect that can start with the head/HGs, oil cooler, or egr cooler.

-if the oil cooler gets plugged up, the egr cooler will fail & then you get coolant in the intake, thus blown HGs or cracked head.

-then again, any time that the oil gets contaminated with coolant - oil cooler plugs up & all goes to crap.
also, if coolant gets contaminated with oil, then the egr cooler plugs up & fails & all goes to crap.

-& in either case, i believe the turbo is susceptible since it's fed oil & spools up from wet gooey exhaust from the leak. & injectors are in danger too if the oil is contaminated.

i've been trying to figure out what all went wrong with my truck before i bough it lol! i'm thinking the egr cooler popped a leak because of dirty coolant (poor maintenance by the previous owner), and that caused turbo to gum up (i think) and HGs to blow eventually...i'm guessing on this because of the service records i found lol

correct me if i'm wrong :)
subscribed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:47 PM
PSN Local

My mom has a 07 250 lariat ccsb. All stock except for tire size. It has the factory 20" lariat wheels with 325/60/20 I believe. Which is about 35.5/12.5 and she hasn't had any trouble with the stock gears. But it's a dd only. It never hauls more than her and the grand babies. Lol.

After about 125,000 it started going to crap. She's had injectors changed 2 times, oil cooler, egr cooler, starter, and probably a half dozen alternators. I don't know why it eats alternators like it does. And this is the most babied truck I've ever seen. Has it serviced and detailed religiously.

My truck on the other hand 01 7.3, has 8" lift 37s with 3.73s and I pull mini excavators and skidsteers totalling about 15-16000 on a regular basis. The lift and tires killed it on take off and pulling steep grades. When I get the funds I'm going to 4.56s. But just dd I can't tell much of a difference.

08 F250 6.4
With a few lost parts
And a few added parts
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

6.0's are hit or miss. Guys have had the HG's go on their bone stock, daily driven trucks that aren't used or abused at all. Other's beat the piss out of the truck and never have a problem. As was mentioned earlier, there are many contributing factors to a 6.0 lifting the heads. If you stay on top of your maintenance, don't drive it like an idiot, and don't load huge tunes and flog on it daily, chances are you may be safe... but then again you might not. The harder you run it, the more you up the performance side of it, the greater your chances are at blowing your HG's. It's just something we have to learn to live with owning a 6.0 If you want to play, you'll eventually have to pay!

Delete your EGR cooler, keep your coolant fresh, keep the oil changed, don't abuse the truck.... you'll improve your chances of it not happening. BUT, here again, you can do all that, and they still blow. Just the nature of the beast.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 PM
PSN Veteran

1 Miles to brake in is a interesting question motors will start to loosen up after a couple thousands miles 10-15k rings will be well seated in. 6.0 in particular wears very well if maintained. a 100k engine will look nearly identical to 300k engine if they were both maintained only notable difference is ring and valve guide wear.
2 HG are another issue many hg leaks are result of failed coolers. but the first 6.0 I did hg on was one of my friends 03 f350 he bought bully dog tuner put it on his new truck we went out and drove it blew a hg before we got back. ever sense I have been convinced tuning has a lot to do with hg issues. Our 03 450 has 593,xxx original hg oil/egr cooler turbo
3 I have 35x12.5 on my 05 difference is torque of the diesel

Fixing ford diesels since before they had turbochargers
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
San Juan Cowboy

Interesting posts guys. When I bought this truck the dealer had just done the EGR/Cooler, and all the associated stuff with it but the HG are stock. It has 146K on it and been told it's just broken in. We'll see I guess. So far, it runs like a champ. OASIS report had 2 issues in 100K miles and the original owner (I'm second) kept it for 6.6 years. Really clean truck. Encouraging.

Just trying to gauge how long I might have before a HG repair and if I can look to a few other mods first. Just don't wanna get caught short on cash should I have an emergency repair.

It would make sense, that if left stock, the engine should perform to certain specs. I mean, Ford doesn't build junk.

Ran the metric conversion on my tires and 275/65/20 = 34.1 inch tire. No leveling or lift. No rubbing either. Hell, I thought I had 33s.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

[QUOTE=OilHammer;4138041]
It would make sense, that if left stock, the engine should perform to certain specs. I mean, Ford doesn't build junk.

QUOTE]

If the 6.0 was only Ford built! It's an International built engine.

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
San Juan Cowboy

[quote=6speedSD;4138130]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilHammer View Post

QUOTE]

If the 6.0 was only Ford built! It's an International built engine.
Gotcha. Did they build the 7.3 also? I'm kinda naive. My neighbor has the 7.3 with almost 300k on it. So naturally, when I start shopping used PSD I assume they all can run 1 million miles if taken care of.

Out here in Colorado in the middle of ranching country these guys have a lot of miles on their diesels. I think I love this truck more than my Jeep :-) and at 60K $ to replace it, keeping it forever sure is appealing.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:58 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

yep! 7.3, 6.0, & 6.4 powerstroke engines are international

but then ford got cranky & decided to do the 6.7 powerstroke in house lol

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode