Oil change and HPOP reservoir - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Oil change and HPOP reservoir

This may be a dumb question, but a quick search didn't reveal much. How much used oil is left in the HPOP reservoir after the system has been drained of oil? Other than removing the oil cooler assembly, is there any practical way of draining it? Or would we even want to considering that would mean the HPOP would be running dry until its reservoir was filled up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Oil change and HPOP reservoir

Don't overthink it. There is going to be some old oil left over when you change it.

Drop 15qt out of the pan. Put 15qt in the top. And your done.

97 F250 eclb. 265k
- Fresh engine. d60. zf5. Some other stuff...

E99 f550 213k
- starts every morning...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM
"resident smarty pants"

+1 ^

Most Techs that I know have to add apprx. 18 quarts to a totally dry engine which means that around 3 quarts "hang up" in the entire system.

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

On my '03 F-250 I have never worried about it and I likely never will with my new Ex, but since I'm getting ready to tear into it soon and the procedure of sucking the oil out of the HPOP reservoir is involved it just kinda sparked that question, so I figured I would ask.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Big dumb redneck

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherlite View Post
On my '03 F-250 I have never worried about it and I likely never will with my new Ex, but since I'm getting ready to tear into it soon and the procedure of sucking the oil out of the HPOP reservoir is involved it just kinda sparked that question, so I figured I would ask.
Just what kind of "tearing into it" are you doing?

2005 F350 CCLB Dually
Studded, deleted
5" straight piped
155/30's
KC Stage 1.5
Reg return
Beans sump to the stock pump
BPD FICM
Tuned by several...depends on my mood for the day.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

I'm doing EGR delete w/up-pipe, oil cooler flush or replace if needed, oil bypass filter, coolant bypass filter, CCV catch can addition, replacing plastic CAC input tube with metal, replacing stock CAC pipe boots with Riff Raff version, gonna do a simple green flush of the CAC (lots of oil in there from the CCV system), blue spring mod w/new cover, upgraded pressure and drain tubes for turbo....I know there is more, but I just can't think of what it is off the top of my head. lol

I know I don't HAVE to take the oil cooler assembly off to do a flush, I'm still going to because a lot of folks have found their HPOP screen filter ripped, so I'm going to replace that with the upgraded stainless mesh version. It will also allow me to drain that reservoir and refill it before I put the cooler back on with fresh oil. I will be adding Archoil 9100 as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode