6.0 oil change then problems - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

6.0 oil change then problems

Hi I have an 04 6.0 with 130k on it. I run an sct tuner 4" strait piped and egr deleted. Ficm new in December. When I change the oil I used to use rotella 15/40 full synthetic. Every time I change the oil the truck will run rough for the first 500 to 1k miles after the change and then be fine afterwards. This time I thought I'd try something different and ran the Mobil one 5/40 synthetic. The truck now runs horribly. I'm hoping it evens out. The truck was getting 19 mpg going down the highway and if I mash the throttle it runs great and takes off quick so it seems to not have lost power just idles rough and shutters under low rpm and light acceleration. Any advise would be great. It is almost like the truck runs better after the oil breaks down a bit or something This sucks!!!

04 f250 lariat ccsb 6.0L psd Egr delete 4" mbrp tubo back straight piped sct tuner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Re: 6.0 oil change then problems

interesting

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 03:58 AM
'05 Excursion

6.0 oil change then problems

I'm guessing a HPO leak since its worse with lighter weight oil. I'd be very interested in seeing the difference between HPO system diagnostic readings on both of the oil weights. I'd start off with RevX just to try and rule out "stickation".

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:15 PM
PSN Veteran

And another question,whose oil filter are you running?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
"stickation".
crap that sounds worse than stiction

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Motorcraft filter. I'm going to get the revx. I'll keep you posted!

04 f250 lariat ccsb 6.0L psd Egr delete 4" mbrp tubo back straight piped sct tuner
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Put the archoil9100 additive in. Instantly ran smooth as butter! I can't believe it!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 PM
PSN Veteran

Be careful running that mix, I ran ar9100 and t6 5/40 lost two injectors 1000 miles after.... It was explained to me like this... 5/40 shears easier then 15/40 and add a cleaning/friction modifier on top of that the junk it was cleaning out of my oil caused major stiction then failure. I only suggest running syntetic oil and additive if it's a low mileage or new motor just my two cents. My injectors that failed had less then 20k on them and two at one time???

Pmax & batmowheel
Banks technicooler
Arp's
Warren 175/75's
Fass titanium 125 w/ sump
Volant intake
5" mrbp turbo back 6" tip
Reg. return w/6.4 banjos and oil and coolant filter
Sct itsx on iPad w/ Drew's tunes
Idp ficm tune
Snow water/meth
Empty bank account
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 12:00 AM
Administrator

I had my oil tested with archoil and it was t6 5/40with 5000 miles it had no abnormal shear or any other issues
who explained to you the Shear theory ??

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 AM
PSN Veteran

My mechanic but it's not the oil that did it, it was the archoil I guess with 170k miles never using any kind of oil additive I might of had some build up in the motor we took the old injectors a parts and they had sludge in them the screens were blocked all the way. Jess at warran suggest the 15/40 with the new injectors cause I got the modified solenoids. He also agrees the the 5/40 will shear easier.... I trust warren diesel. Overall I feel like my truck had some dirty passages in my block and the archoil broke them down causing the failure

Pmax & batmowheel
Banks technicooler
Arp's
Warren 175/75's
Fass titanium 125 w/ sump
Volant intake
5" mrbp turbo back 6" tip
Reg. return w/6.4 banjos and oil and coolant filter
Sct itsx on iPad w/ Drew's tunes
Idp ficm tune
Snow water/meth
Empty bank account

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode