Truck dies periodically while driving, but restarts just fine - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Truck dies periodically while driving, but restarts just fine

Bear with me, I’m going to be as detailed as possible… 05 F250 PSD.

I just got my truck back last week (Apr 8) from the shop where I had my FICM, (previous crank/no fire condition) and glow plug # 5 replaced. Before I had taken it into the shop, the truck had basically been sitting since Dec when I first noticed a hard start condition, then no start condition which led to the FICM/Glow plug repair.

Once I got the truck back from the shop, it starts like it was brand new, and runs great... except now it periodically dies. It first happened on Apr 9 (the day after I got the truck back) coming back from lunch. It died as I let off the gas coming to an intersection (about 35MPH). I pulled off to the side, and It started right back up, No engine light or codes thrown. The rest of the day it ran fine.

Then I didn’t drive it again until Apr 12. That morning it happened on the freeway about 5mi from home (70MPH) after it had been running for about 20 mins. I pulled over, and restarted like a champ, then about .5 miles later there was a massive hesitation, but it never died, and I went about another 2mi to work without issue.

The next day (Apr 13) I filled it from just below half tank (the fuel in the tank had been the same fuel from back in Dec) and then drove it to Oil Stop to have the fuel filters and water separator changed because it had been about 15K miles since they had been changed. I had them show me the filters and they didn’t seem too bad, I’d say normal for 15K miles. Then I did some other errands. I drove it that day for about 25 miles total with no issues. Then, that evening I drove to the store, came out, and as I was leaving the parking lot basically at idle, the truck hesitated briefly (not like a spool up hesitation, but like it wanted to die), and then caught itself. About a mile down the road (@40MPH) it just died suddenly, and I had to pull off to restart. Once I got going I travelled for about 10 miles to my destination, and as I was rolling at an idle it died again. I restarted. As I was sitting in park at idle, the engine again gave a hesitation, and this time I noticed my speedometer needle cycled to about 50MPH, then back to 0… I didn’t see any other needles move (like you would during a system self check or low voltage issue). Then later as I was leaving my destination, it died while basically rolling at idle, and then was fine the rest of the way home (about 15 miles).

The truck sat Apr 14.

Today (Apr 15) I drove it to work about 15 miles and no issues so far today.

Some other background. Back in Dec I thought I might have had a parasitic draw as my batteries were going dead after a week (later found out after load testing that my batteries were bad, which is coincidentally what I think killed my FICM… anyway…). Because of this, I checked all my grounds on my batteries as well as my cables, and everything seemed really clean and tight. I also have a DMM with time logging features… so I logged my current draw while the truck was off, and after about 20mins, it dropped to about 19mA. So I think that is normal, and was convinced I didn’t have a parasitic draw. (which led me to batteries/FICM).

One last thing, I run the Superchips 1704-A with the High Perf tune… I forgot to change it back to stock before sending it off to the shop for the FICM replacement, and when they change the FICM, they have to flash the PCM… just wondering if that can cause this issue I’m seeing? I’ve sent the programmer back to Superchips, and they are sending me a new one so I can get back control of my tunes… but it’s not here yet.

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to give you guys as much info as possible, and I haven’t found many posts with this issue.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Banned

Re: Truck dies periodically while driving, but restarts just fine

How many miles are on the truck?
Did you check ficm voltage before you sent it off?
I would also check fuel pressure and oil pressure etc. check all of that to make shure thats none of the promblems

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Has 102Kmi on it... FICM was confirmed bad and replaced a week ago at the garage I took it to. Voltage was like 24V. Wouldn't a fuel pressure or oil pressure issue be more constant? This is exteremely intermittent... runs strong when not dieing.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Banned

I guess so i was just shooting at blanks im not a pro with thw 6.0s but i try to help out

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Update: Drove it all day Apr 15 (mix of hwy and in town driving), no issues. Today, driving in to work (about 15 miles), just as I turn into the parking lot it died.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oz77 View Post
Update: Drove it all day Apr 15 (mix of hwy and in town driving), no issues. Today, driving in to work (about 15 miles), just as I turn into the parking lot it died.
That y i said maybe oil pressure because your rpms dropped

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Banned

Do you have any way to monitor ICP data, fuel pressure, and FICM voltages?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM
"resident smarty pants"

Get a monitoring system to check the critical parameters.

Check for codes

I would also pull the FICM and verify that the connectors are fully seated (plugged in tight).

Mark
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post
Get a monitoring system to check the critical parameters.

Check for codes

I would also pull the FICM and verify that the connectors are fully seated (plugged in tight).
I'm thinking this is going to be my best bet... it is so infrequent and I don't want to throw more money than I have to at it. And I'll take it back to the shop to have them verify the work on the FICM.

In addition, I've noticed when it hesitates, the speedometer needle will always cycle to maximum speed when it occurs, like a reset condition.

Thanks!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So I finaly got this figured out!

This ended up being my Superlift Truspeed going bad. I had to install the Truspeed when I got the truck back in 05 when I put 37" tires on it to calibrate my speedometer. This required splicing the Truspeed unit into the Speed Sensor at the ABS. Something was shorting out on the Truspeed internally and would cause my truck to think I was suddenly going over the speed limiter, and the computer would shut me down. This is why I would see my speedometer swinging to 100MPH just before shutdown.

Anyway, I yarded the Truspeed out, used my tuner to program my tire size... and now everything is fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode