smell of what seems like anti-freeze?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question smell of what seems like anti-freeze??

when I step on the pedal, I'm getting what I think its anti-freeze smell that comes in the cabin through the vent. This only started to happen after I had a Fitch fuel catalyst installed. I have a 2006 6.0. I took it in the dealer and they couldn't locate where or what's causing it. Someone I met had mentioned this might be a head gasket problem? Any idea or suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: smell of what seems like anti-freeze??

Is the passenger side floor board wet? Maybe heater core? Other than that i dont know, im sure someone will chime in with something. Good luck.

1997 F350 Crew Cab, 7.3, 4x4, 5SP Short Shift kit, 5" RSK SD V Code springs, DIY Intake, 5" Exhaust with 30" FTE Resinator, intercooled, TS chip.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Proud Sponsor

cracked EGR cooler or a leaking hose on the EGR cooler..maybe..

any white residue around the degas cap?

Adam Brannan
Email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks you guys for posting! The floor is not wet inside the cabin. Everything seems normal. I don't believe its the EGR, unless the dealership didn't notify me of any issues. I recently had the transmission flush (this included the EGR cleaning?) as well as the coolant pressurized, they couldn't locate any problem. Where would the degas cap located? I have physically looked at the engine pretty closely and beneath, I don't see anything that is leaking. Nothing with white substance either.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Can anyone recommend a good/honest diesel technician around Los Angeles/San Gabriel Valley area?

2006 6.0 4x4

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 AM
6Leaker

Send a message via AIM to jdc753

I believe what you want to look for would be more of like a white powder or coating near or around the degas cap. The cap is located on the drivers side of the truck sorta above the master cylinder.

Kinda crappy picture but its up above and behind the air cleaner.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long bed
6.0L / Auto 4x4
SCT X3 5" Magnaflow
4" RCD lift, a bunch of stereo gear and a computer
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 AM
Power Stroke Psychiatrist

Check all the coolant hoses for moisture seepage or even dripping. Especially check the hoses that got moved during the install. I'm currently working on an '04 6.0 with the same symptoms. It just started dripping now though. Turns out it was the hose connecting the egr cooler to the oil cooler. (you shouldn't have had to mess with this for the fitch install though) It's the @2" long 3/4" hose. You could get it hot & see if there's any moisture around the area. It's located to the right of the oil filter housing. If that's the case, it's the perfect time to do the egr delete. There's plenty of good kits available all over for this. I've had a bunch of guys just have me weld the exhaust inlet & outlet on the egr to save them some coin. That way, even if it leaks on the inside, it has no where to go.

Wayne Yates
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks a lot, guys!! I really appreciate all the great inputs. Come to think of it, this may have something to do with EGR. I punched the pedal again this morning and it smells more like a tire or rubber smell...very confusing. Anyway, will look into all the possibilties and really hope its not the leak/blown head gasket. I'm not much of a mechanic, at times like this I wish I knew more. Thanks again!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1166.JPG (875.2 KB, 18 views)

2006 6.0 4x4

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

What exactly does EGR delete does? Is it legal in California?

2006 6.0 4x4

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Proud Sponsor

I cannot say it will or will not meet emissions..I know that I have sent two kits to California though. If you follow the link in my signature it will show you what an EGR delete kit is.

Adam Brannan
Email

Phone (904)-813-5067

2011 F350 KR SWB CC 4x4 tuned by Ford

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode