Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Hydro Assist

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Layson 
#1 ·
So my steering stabilizers are blown, and the front end in general needs some freshening up so I was thinking while I was in there I might add hydro assist.

First off, would you consider hydro a good upgrade over steering stabilizers?

Next, what products are there on the market for our trucks.

Thanks!

#3 ·
One of my icon's was leaking while I was overseas and didn't know until it was to late. I am assuming having one bad one had led to the deterioration of the other one, along with some other front end issues. There was substantial amount of play in some of the ball joints, and drag link. Lately my front end has been a mess (see thread in 6.4 forum) and i figured I have another 7 months in Malaysia, good time to start stock piling some parts. Plus a good family friend has a shop near my folks house where the truck is currently sitting.

Would like to do PMF HD trac bar with some Hydro, i think that would tighten her up! (new drag link installed) I have been in touch with SAK breifly about what to do but then I left again to come over here and I keep forgetting to call him back.

The truck has been lifted for about a year, year and a half... I can't remember... you guys know i'm not easy on her either :doh:

It's just a pain traveling so much, last time I was home the front end was loose/death wobbled and had 4 days to get it right before i had to make a 1600 mile drive (not to mention move outa an apartment, 3 doctors appointments, go into the Houston office and beers with my friends of course!). All icon parts were 2+ weeks back order.... Real lucky Sean and Dana at WPS could help me out with an overnight part before I had to drive.

Basically I want to not have to worry about it, sometimes I just don't have the time to do the work that needs to be done on it so if I can build it solid no worries! :D

#4 ·
#5 ·
Damn dude, i beat the hell out of my truck and mine have been great for over 2 years.

Anyways, i've actually looked into the PSC hydro assist at one time. Just not in the "need" to point still sitting at the "want". Got other toys that get their lifts and such before working back on the truck again.

#6 ·
Everything in my sig needs some sorta parts lol... But 7 more months of field pay should take care of that! :eek: Commited to live here until basically Christmas :doh: Figure i'm young and it'll be worth it... Truck is paid off this month and coming home with 75g's for a house won't be bad either.

I'm looking at the PSC kits and sorta wondering what exactly I would need there. I have heard of other people building theirs any input on this Matt? Also is OUO really the only option for mounting or can you make a bracket?

#7 ·
I was not overly impressed w/ PSC.
the install instructions were crap.
In their "complete kit" I still had to have several custom hoses made.
and when they rebuilt my steering box, it developed some play after a few years.
For cost and for the hard core rock crawler type forums, i believe ******* systems to be good. I actually used their instructions to get mine installed since the PSC ones were so bad.
In hind sight, ******* offered to get a steering gear from autozone or the like and modify for hydro use but i cheaped out sent mine to PSC and here we are.
IMHO, I'd never use PSC again.

#9 ·
I have the OUO kit and it is nice. You can get their diff cover and put together the PSC ram yourself to save some money... You can always fab up your mount as well. Lots of guys have done it.

But honestly, you shouldn't even need this... I think you got something else going on that is contributing to this issue. The rams may just mask your underlying issue.

#10 ·
X2

If your ball joints and drag link are busted then get new ones and go from there. Check out some dynatrac ball joints and your drag link of choice.

No reason to upgrade the trac bar unless its the old Icon with the rubber bushing, in which case I would change it to the new end joint.

I've always heard that hydro assist on anything less than 40's will cause more harm than good and is not needed/recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.