Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Auto Hubs

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Critical 
#1 ·
I need to replace the auto hubs in 03 Ex per mechanic, they won't turn.

Does anyone have a line on a good pair of OEM hubs, new or used?

Thanks

#2 ·
I would dump the vac hubs and get a good set of Warns... My wifes have been replaced once, rebuilt twice and still never work properly. She just gets out and locks the hubs and moves on.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Ehhh. If you look around you can find a set of good factory hubs. I got mine off of a guy from up here that had several sets at the time. I think I gave $75 for both of them.

#6 ·
Question I have is how many miles do you guys have on your auto hubs before they quit on you? I hear a lot of "auto hubs suck! Mine went out on me". Only to find out the person has 200-300k miles on them.:doh: I have 240k on my auto hubs and are working well. And about 200k of those miles were in Alaska where I used them all the time. If they quit on me I'll spend the extra money for autos. They are convenient (especially if you're in some sloppy crap you dont want to walk through) and they work. Like any mechanical part they have a lifespan, some longer than others. I don't think they're too bad.

Look here, the prices aren't too bad.Tousley Ford Parts Depot

#7 ·
First set went out with about 100k on the X, second set at about 150k... Now they are just manual until I get a chance to swap Warns into her rig.

Auto hubs do suck. They are prone to failure, they are 70% plastic and I would rather have something I know will work 100% of the time.

There is nothing wrong with driving around with your hubs locked for weeks on end, doesnt hurt a thing.

#8 ·
You're right there is nothing wrong with driving on locked hubs, I did it all the time with my bronco. I'm just speaking from my expeariences, My hubs have lasted a resonable lifespan even under hard conditions. And the people I've talked to about them complain when when they have a plethora of miles on thiers. Water pumps go out aroundv +/- 150k, unit bearing go out at +/-200k, and what's the average lifspan of a tranny, ball jionts,or gp's and gpr? If I got 150k out of my of hubs I'd be happy with that. And yes, warn hubs would last alot longer, but I've had warns brake on me with rather low miles on them in my jeep. But I understand your fustration with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.