Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

spare parts to carry

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  1990 Scorpion 
#1 ·
in june i will be driving the alcan from washington up to kodiak, ak. just wanted some input on what parts i should carry with me. from the research i have done the services are few and far in between most of the way. i will be driving with my wife and two kids (one being 1 month old) so i do not want to break down in the middle of nowhere and have to walk my family to the next town. here is the list of what i have compiled so far. please feel free to add anything you think i should carry with me.

fuel filters
hose clamps
spare hoses, various sizes
coolant
oil filter
oil
gpr
2 5 gallon cans of fuel
rags
stop leak for tires
2 spare tires
basic tools
cps
ipr
gear oil
trans fluid
washer fluid
shop books on dvd w/ laptop
distilled water

i know im missing some things, what are they?

See less See more
#3 ·
Lets see (this is what I have in my tool box)

CPS (multiple)
Filters
idler pulleys (grooved and smooth)
tensioner
fuel pump
banjo bolt gaskets
belts (multiple old belts)
valvecover gasket
Under valvecover harnesses
External VC Harness repair kit and pins
Glowplug relay
Hoses
IDMs (multiple)
O-rings for HP oil lines and plugs
Fan Clutch wrench set
pump pulley puller (power steering and vacuum pump)
Spare wiper arms and blades

Other things maybe to consider that you (or I) haven't listed:

Vacuum pump
Injector o-rings
ICP
PCM

Just throwing stuff out there! Cheers!

#4 ·
I would recommend buying extras of all your important fuses, it's the simplest of fixes but say you blow one out it leaves you up **** creek without a paddle.

#6 ·
Fuses and the big relays that are in the fuse panel under the hood. Had one of these go out and leave me stranded. Depending on what kind of filter setup you have, maybe an extra filter. Spare Vacuum line and fuel line?

I would check and see what phone service provider has the most service along that route. If you dont have a CB, get one for the drive and get it on channel 17 so you can talk to truck drivers if needed. It might be worth it to look into one of the GPS tracking devices that Sprint Offers. You can send out a help signal from anywhere. Ill bet enough people travel that road though that you wont have a huge issue getting a ride into town if you need a part.

#9 ·
Straps/chains just in case, and you could definitely help someone out with them if need-be, maybe even a come-a-long.

#11 ·
If you are driving the Alaska highway once north of Fort Nelson it gets a little remote...you will have reasonable cell service to Prince George after that just in most small town limits. There is significant gas drilling/exploration works happening around Fort Nelson so lots of traffic if you have problems to there and south of there. Roads are mostly paved with some sections of good gravel not to worry.

If your alternator is older take a new spare. You can always return it when you get back.

Cash is KING have a few Canuck bucks on hand. Diesel will be moremthan what you are used to paying

#14 ·
I had belts, idlers, and tensioner in my list :ford:
Cheers!

#15 ·
bring some bars stop leak kinda stuff incase you lose a head gasket or something. that way you can at least limp it to your destination. down fall of bars stop leak is you cant put it in with coolant in the cooling system, has to be straight water, however there is other stuff out there you can poor right in, forget the name, bring eggs too. can crack them into your radiator and they will seal leaks for short periods

#16 ·
In a last ditch resort urine will also work for a short time in the radiator, but just bring your coolant and water lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.