Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Petersen's 4wheel off road diesel shoot out.

11K views 84 replies 24 participants last post by  TylerDurden 
#1 ·
June 2011 issue

6.7l Ford smokes chevy pulling a load in the 1/4mi runs neck and neck empty.

#2 ·
June issue of..?

#3 ·
How much weight were they pulling?

#35 ·
seriously?? the gearing in the chevy is what barely made it faster empty and should have helped out in pulling too.... id bet if it had 3.55 like the ford the empty race woulda been closer....

#7 ·
I don't believe the ford vs. chevy was legit. At 3370 ft elevation a new dmax hauling pallets was screaming at 35mph while a new 6.7 in front of me with two off road rigs on the trailer blew past him.

#10 ·
They're both so close who the heck even cares? They're both awesome trucks. I'd be happy to own either one of them.

Arguing who's stock truck is ridiculous anyways, especially on these forums. 90% of the people on these boards buy them to hotrod them and modify them. That's where this truck needs to shine.

my $.02

#11 ·
Huh... This makes me wonder why all of the other magazines were able to get the Duramax to perform so much better... Does this test throw a wrench in the works for the other magazines? I am curious why there is such a difference. Who knows, maybe it was just a bad day for the ol' Duramax... It is a proven engine with years of real world testing behind it. I like that the PSD finally was given a serious chance.

#15 ·
Huh... This makes me wonder why all of the other magazines were able to get the Duramax to perform so much better... Does this test throw a wrench in the works for the other magazines? I am curious why there is such a difference. .
because there are a bunch of conspiracy theories and petersons was the only magazine that wasnt paid off by GM to rig the tests so the dmax would win. Its true, look it up, each magazine was compensated 28 million dollars by GM for each magazine copy sold.

#12 ·
A test is just that, turbo diesel, its a series of conditions imposed by someone to see what one thing can do well and another can not.

I can find a bunch of 'tests' to do with a 2011 dmax that'll make it look like pure rubbish. I drive one everyday though. In fact, I just rolled 20k today. 2011 2500 hd dmax ally cc/lb in granite grey. It runs decent, gets horrible fuel mileage towing and empty, uses two to three times the advertised amount of DEF and the exterior of mine is literally falling apart. My chevy emblem on the tailgate has turned black on the inside. My rear bumper is rusty. The chrome grill is flaking off. The moldings on the side of the truck have turned goldish yellow. I have a bad finish on one of my wheels too. Theres a whole notebook page of things that need to be done next time it goes in for service. What do you expect for 52?

If this thing was a worktruck model, I wouldnt care but its a stepdown from the nice one, the LTZ. Its an LT and is decently appointed. There are several 11's running around the town I work in and they have blackened rear chevy emblems too. Our older trucks of the same bodystyle do NOT have these exterior finish issues. In fact the 08 we put back into service to replace the one 2011 we lemon-lawed out is a pure joy to drive. It runs GREAT, stops better than my new one with 'upgraded brakes'(bs bs bs) and gets 13mpg's doing what we do with em. Its in direct opposition to all the 2011's that Ive personally used, seen, or heard about. The quality from Ford to Chevy, dollar for dollar is night and day. My 2000 lariat is nicer than 90percent of the new chevy's barring their ltz with leather and satellite radio, etc, etc...

#13 ·
Tyler... I guess not "all" of the magazines are giving the win to the Chevy/GMC trucks. Just a couple popular ones. It sounds like your 2500 is struggling, I would be livid if my 2011 SD was in that bad of shape with only 20k on the odo! But at the same time I guess us 2011 owners are experiencing our own troubled with the funny shift issues, the creaky door seals and the rattles some have reported.

#19 ·
Anybody reading this who hasnt been following the dieselpower thread David Kennedy posted before the magazine came out please come to your own conclusion.

Ive driven the new ford and was impressed by the power and lack of noise the engine produces. Ive NOT towed with it. All things considered Id rather have a 6.4 most likely. The tow compounds are the reason. If the 6.7 had then Id like that more.

The duramax, for all the hoopla, isnt much better than the previous gen trucks. I THOUGHT it stopped sooo much better but having towed last week with an 11 and an 08, both dmax's, there isnt much difference, imo. The power, in stock form of course, is noticeable from a 2007 to the 11. The good running 08 I used this past week felt more powerful or perhaps it was just smoother. W/o going back and reading what all GM changed and improved for this model year Ill just go off my little bit of experience and say the only thing that is really noticeable in the 11's comared to previous duramax wearing hd's is the dismal fuel mileage that the the setup gets. DEF is fairly cheap if you know where to get it but they go through THREE times as much as they should, if not more. I have to write down the date and amount everytime I fill it so GM can see whats wrong with it. The overall fit and finish of the truck is horrendous. Ive seen loaded up silverados running around my farm town with black stained bowties on the tailgates. Thats how you can tell them apart from the 2010 and older I guessLOL

#34 ·
not to stir the pot more, but i had an 03 6.0 with the "regular mods" and it towed pretty good besides trying to use cruise control pulling hills.... then got a 08 6.4, first time i pulled 10K with it in stock form i wondered if I was going to ever make it back home. tuned though it was great pulling besides when it would do the axle wrap crap..... now i have an 11 6.7 and its a friggin pulling beast!! pulls 10k like theres nothing back there, you would forget you had a trailer if you didnt check your mirrors. rides smooth, plenty power, still get 12-14 mpg, use cruise control all day long and rarely downshifts pulling hills in stock form. this is with a 3/4 ton and 3.31 gear ratio. grossed 27k last week hauling a tree mulcher from iowa 750 miles got 10 mpg but all i did was put it in manual 5th cruise at 67 and never missed a beat!!!

#24 ·
GM fit and finish is terreble, My 08 dmax runs fine but 7 mpg towing and the body falling apart is bs. Most of the door moldings on these truck are falling off and dont lean on the box to hard....DENT. My 2000 psd is way nicer with 220,000 miles.

#31 ·
We had similar issues, up here in the steel mills, with the 08+ dmax trucks. Ran great but with the amount of abuse we put the trucks through, you'd think somebody parked that thing in a gravel lot and went circles around it with a riding lawnmower. Oddly enough, we still have multiple 99-03's that are still running around hauling crap and getting beat to death at the same time.

#25 ·
@iapstroke-my old one, a 2007 'classic' was fairly sturdy with the obs...the 07+ have paperthin sheetmetal. Aside from the flare around the rear wheelwell the boxsides are flat. Get this, if you put your hand anywhere on the sheetmetal on the tailgate and shut it the sheetmetal dents. When we're rolling in convoy you can see the dents and knuckle prints in the headlight beam on the truck ahead of you. Idk what they did for 2011 but my tailgate weighs next to nothing. I wonder if its even steel.

Ill try to get some pics when I get it back, if I think of it, Esp the chevy emblem.

Im sure your 2000 is nicer. I have one too and its nicer by a longshot. The 'wood' in my lariat is still nice and even. No cracks inside, rattles, or faded interior. ITs all still solid.

#28 ·
you guys are ridiculous. I understand if he doesnt want to post it on the forum, thats why I said PM it to me.

my name is ben, I sign most of my posts ben, you guys can feel free to call me ben rather than being a bunch of fking third graders by "mocking" my forum name. Seriously, whats next, 'your mom' jokes? There are a lot dumber forum names out there, ive had this forum name for 8 years so I apologize.

G
#29 ·
You can't be serious... Your the one that's ridiculous.. All anyone has to do is look at your posts in just about any thread you have posted in and it's pretty simple to figure out that you like to cause trouble and your no help to anyone..
By the looks of your posts, I have no idea why someone that is obviously partial to GM products would even waste there time on a Ford forum arguing with Ford owners..

You give people a lot sh!t on here, If you can't handle taking some back, then screw..

#32 ·
This is great, maybe the chevy/gm truck wasn't there for the competition or it really doesn't perform as well as the GMC test demonstrated. I think the Petersen's test was so far the best on, and not because the Ford won but because they tested and rated everything. Off Road capability, interior, tech, and towing.

#33 ·
I dont want to get off topic too far but atsah and the others who are noticing duratothemax' attitude towards this:poke: and this :pointlaugh:= :lame: is spot on.

This is a ford forum. First and foremost. Secondly, I was highlighting some of the problems and shortcomings the truck is exhibiting in my experience/usage which I perceive to be medium duty. In other words, right smack dab in the middle of what it was allegedly designed for. Its not holding up very friggin well. Take it or leave it. Ive got better sh!t to do than validate this to somebody on an internet forum. "Give me the vin." Go eff yourself, get a second job, buy a trailer put a 12k lb crane counterweight in it, buy a 2011 cc/lb duramax, put four people in it and drive it 20k in 6mos and tell me what your experience is. Then we can talk. Way I see it you've got no pony in this show. Your incessant whining and demands of people when they say something about your beloved durasplat borders on the mental.

@Ben-You got a 2011 dmax work truck? No? Ok then, maybe you have a new 2011 ford? No. Alright I guess you really dont have anything to add do ya.

Have a good day pounder!

#36 ·
I am sure that the other tests were flawed, but I don't think that it was purposely. It may have been Ford's fault. Did they supply a truck that was sub-par? Was GM's supply of both the Ford and Chevy trucks for one of the other articles a little shady? Who knows, but I don't think that the editors had anything to do with the terribly conflicting test results. I do really like this magazine's test though, seemed fair, and the trucks came right from the manufacturers. Great article! All are great trucks, very well matched!

#37 ·
I could care less about the test results. Do you think a 2000 3/4 ton ford cc/sb with 265k miles/100hp chip and a worn out 6" lift on 37's would stand a chance against a 2011 dmax towing? I bet that magazine article would be a bloodbath, right? Well Ive put about the same miles on duramaxs' as Ive put on the big ferd and the ferd will still run with it. The handling of the chevy is slightly better than my lifted truck shod with big tires(duh). Thats where this 'great' truck ceases to dominate. My suspension is five times what that souped up half ton has. The dmax drags the damn trailer jack backing into driveways. Sags the ass end about 3" w/12k lb trailer. Mine doesnt drop but a half inch.

My point is its all subjective. You have to decide for yourself. I PREFER the fords. Some people prefer the chevy. Ill tell you this, the finish and quality of the two are not comparable. The chevy is selling dodge finish grade at fords price point. The ford IS nicer inside and out. One may not like the looks of the fords frontend but its put together better, nobody can argue that. Hell my old sd is nicer than what chevy is churning out for 2011.

We can put all this to bed cuz it doesnt matter. Its irrelevant unless you live in the exact spot they test those trucks and do exactly what they did. Is it somewhat useful? Yes, I suppose if you're on the fence. Honestly, if I read the mags and then bought a duramax cuz "they're better at towing and nicer" Id be pissed and think the magazines lied cuz my work truck is a decent running turd...

:ford:

#38 ·
First you have to have the same axle ratio's To be honest to say chevy is a ####ty truck makes you sound like a dumbass, mine is a 02 lb7 and non of the trim is coming of, cant say the same about my cousins old 03 6.0. and i have raced 6.7's in my dads lml and i beat both of them, and tyler i think your full of ####, whats wrong with posting a vin number? people do that all the time on the duramax forum. yea ford is a very will built truck, but i think gm stepped their game up with the 2011 and is righ up there with ford as far as durability, if the 6.7 psd ran so much better why with a 100 hp tune does it barley pull away from the 2011 duramax then stock it gets beat by it, there multiple vids on youtube of 2011 duramax's beating 2011 6.7 psd's. btw my dads lml has 10 k on it and no problems, and i know of one guy with 21 k on his lml and no problems.

#40 ·
.... raced 6.7's in my dads lml and i beat both of them, and tyler i think your full of ####, whats wrong with posting a vin number? people do that all the time on the duramax forum..]
dmaxs.jpg picture by titobandito78 - Photobucket

dmaxs.jpg picture by titobandito78 - Photobucket

@D maxin-This is the kinda shti that cracks me the FUKK up!!!! "Yer lyin..I know cuz my daddy has one of them duramazes and his runs 10's...stock..." Thats how your post reads. Like somebody who's pissed when their whole buckets bottom begins to fall out.

About six people have called me a liar in this thread about my truck. Well theres two pictures. Somebody with pictures doesnt need to lie. Secondly, I like how this guy(******) starts attacking everybody. Not discussing the truck. But rather insulting us all as to show some authority. Lemme know how you're received.

I commented on the trucks. I could care less who likes them or doesnt. I have been driving dmax equipped trucks since 2005. Ive currently got 600k miles in the seat of these trucks. The 2006 and 07(classics) were good and ran great. Fit and finish was super. The 2007(new body style) and newer have CHEAP a$$ sheetmetal. That is a fact. Miles of open, flat sheetmetal that just begs to dent.

I hope this puts the gradeschool level arguments that the angry dmax guys are bringing in here to rest. Im soooo happy that some jagbag can film a ford and a chevy race. What does that prove? Jacksh!t. Im telling you that dark grey truck has had several chrome pieces and the front wheel visible in the picture I posted(see above for you non-believers) was replaced. The chrome that was on the rear bumper turned yellow and was rusty. The emblem they wouldnt replace because the truck has more than 12k miles...bla bla bla...

Final point, hate to have to repeat myself, Im NOT posting a vin for a truck that has somebody elses name on the mother effin title. I could care less if you swap wives over on you dmax forums, much less vin numbers. Aint gonna happen. Find a different angle to try to 'prove' me wrong. If you like the duramax,fine, this is for people who dont know.

Bottom line, the truck I have was 52k,it wasnt worth that much for what its turning out to be. The 07 Classic that I drove before this one was NOT falling apart and ran about the same as when it was new. It had 171k when it was traded in Oct.

Im done with this. I hate to tell the angry ones but this is:psn: not dmax's r us.

@oilburner 6.6- Im not driving a one ton. Ive got a srw 2500. Look at it in the picture! Its sagging. That trailers empty too. My 6" skyjacker springs are far superior to ANY stock springs, ford or chevy. If you've not towed with a set of 6" springs I urge you to try it. Granted they have 250+k miles on them. They are on my 2000 3/4ton powerstroke. They still work great. just squeaky due to age.

#39 ·
Enough with all the excuses, 2011 just wasn't Ford year again. Better luck next time. As for the fit and finish, a loaded GM with all the bells and whistles looks every bit as good as the Ford. You do have more information on the DIC, but nothing a monitor won't fix. As for bed sag, I put my 15k fifth wheel on and it sags maybe one inch. GM put their money where it counts this year. Improved engine, tranny, suspension, brakes, and frame. I have nothing against Ford, I even considered an F450 with the 6.7, but this is my second D-max and I just can't give up the key turning reliability.

#42 ·
Not ford's year again? lol, is its gm's? Who's trying to recover from a bail out? Who's year has it been the last few? Gm? Dodge? I guess because they got their asses saved its been gm? Pull your head out of your ass, the only ones who's year it has been was ford.

Gm did make improvements, but bottom line you can polish a turd all you want but in the end your still left with ####.

Your frame was improved only to address customer complaints of previous generation's frame problems. Your new frame and box will only crack in time as the previous generations.

The turn key reliability did not work so well for gm at -40 when compared to the fords. On the other hand im sure their great on sunny days.

Test a gm and a ford after 100,000 miles if you wish to see the real winners.

Bottom line is you will find a lot of dodges pulling big trailors, you will find fords working in mines, etc. Gm's will only ever be for the holiday trailor on paved road crowd.

Did gm finally get their tow mirrors to sit level? Takes some engineering to have your mirrors sit level. Just one more question are gm and dodge bodies still made by fisher?

#50 ·
Wtf are u talking about if its the 6.7 boom you are a moron. I'm sure there has never been a dmax do that. It's funny how you GM guys come crawling out of the wood work for these discussions on a :ford: forum. It might be differen if it wasn't for the fact that if we go over to your forums and even mention Ford in a less than negative way its BAN time. Maybe you should show your mods how you tools come over here and defend your precious pieces of crap and. Never get banned LOL

#51 ·
Aaaaaand they like to discount somebody such as myself who has put more miles on duramax trucks than they'll ever see on their own. They all talk about reliability and power with the duramax but they all have low mileage trucks. Ive got 265k on mine, a 2000 ford sd, and its still getting it done with stock components. I cant imagine what its gonna be like when I put bigger inj, decent programming, turbo, and better fuel system on it.

I havent seen many people with the miles that I have on mine. I mean, I hear about it on here but I dont personally know anyone with much more than a 150k on one. They'll do it though...Ive yet to personally see a dmax with more than 200k on it. My 05 had 203k when it was traded for the 07 and it was tiiiiiired!

#53 ·
i have a buddy with a '11 HD3500 dually. hes a plumber by trade so he has those big tall walk in boxes.
his truck left him stranded because of the tranny going in to limp mode.

my neigbor has been through 3 heads on his LML due to them being cracked and blown HG's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.