Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Lube your caliper slides!

11K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Rob02F350 
#1 ·
hey guys

so yesterday i was driving down the highway and something didnt feel right... got off to take the back roads to get a bite to eat. pulled in to the truck stop and there was smoke rolling out of my Left rear wheel well. looked at it... the Rotor was glowing red, wheel seal was dripping oil that was simmering on the hub, rim, brake caliper, etc. the rubber boots that keep junk out of the slides were melted off... :eek:

limped to my work with it to take it apart... burned my fingers touching the tire.. took everything apart, spend 4 hours trying to find the right axle nut socket. R&R everything, repair the caliper slides. new oil.

so as a warning... clean and lube the slide pins now before you almost catch on fire driving down the road!!

#2 ·
Yea. I take a them to the wire wheel and then lube em with new boots... I took my caliper pins off the front and had to use the torch... for one I had the torch on it for 15 minutes

#3 ·
Thanks Rob for the advice.. and well taken... my boots are all rotted off... Every couple of weeks when washing the truck as well as underneath... I will spray all four with ZEP45 w/Teflon... all 4 are in great working order...
I have read about your problem a few times...Scarey as He&%...

#4 ·
update...

some how either from sticking, heat, i dont know what. one of the pistons broke about 3/4 way out. wasn't corroded, but broke. luckily i have a backup set of rear calipers... weird right? R&R now the trucks back up again.

#7 ·
Very good advice Rob.... I spent about 500 on brake parts before I realized the pins on the my RF were siezed. I bought a set of pins for little to no $$$ and boom, fixed the problem.

It is a very very good idea to replace the boots and pins if they are at all rusty or pitted. If not, be sure to use very high temp grease (they make hight temp grease for braking components) any time you have the brakes apart.

And if you need to use a torch to get the pins out, it would be a very good idea to replace the caliper brackets as well.

#9 ·
You can buy a can of caliper slide pin lube from autozone. It is the official lube to use for slide pins so is good for the heat. The can has a brush on the lid and should last 20 years. As a matter of maintenance I pulled all of my calipers off and lubed all of the pins at the same time.

Don't wait until it becomes a problem.

#10 ·
i had to do my fronts about a month ago. now the rears. all have been packed with CAT High temp Anti seize. Now i just need to find new Rubber boots.. or caliper slides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.