Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Is This Turbo Safe To Put In a Truck???

762 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TAMU_PSD 
#1 ·
Trying to get yalls opinion on if this is safe or not to run in a compound set up. All opinions welcome

Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Tire Spoke

Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Spoke

See less See more
#3 ·
Remember that wheel will spin any where from 20,000 RPM to about 100,000 RPM. That blade being bent like that will cause hell on your bearings, due to the fact it is unbalance now. Can you run it yes. But not for a long time. If you do I would try and keep the boost pressure down as low as I could so you do not spin that wheel that fast until you pick up a new wheel.
I would also check for shaft play also.
While this specification does vary from one brand to another and rule of thumb is less than .030" radial freeplay and less that .002" axial freeplay.

This amount of freeplay is required to allow the bearings to "float" in a pressurized film of oil while the engine is running. The flow of oil through the clearance around the bearings is what helps the bearings stay cool. This oil film around the bearings also help dampen vibrations that occur to the rotating assembly as it moves through it range of RPM. Ball bearing turbochargers do not have this pressurized film of oil around the bearings; this is why they are somewhat more noisy than floating journal bearing turbos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.