Exhaust Leak? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
CHevDog1
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Exhaust Leak?

I've been trying to find an exhaust leak on my truck for some time now. It can only be heard when it's under a load. A couple of weeks ago, when I was warming it up in the driveway, I could hear it when the EBPV was closed and it was at high idle. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. The noise was most apparent from the Pass wheel well. I pulled and cleaned the EBPS sensor and tube last night, hoping that I would find a leak in the tube, but it was in perfect shape. I crawled around under the truck and under the hood with a trouble light and couldn't find any soot that would indicate the leak. The up pipes look good, the turbo looks good. Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 PM
stroke32
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Re: Exhaust Leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHevDog1 View Post
I've been trying to find an exhaust leak on my truck for some time now. It can only be heard when it's under a load. A couple of weeks ago, when I was warming it up in the driveway, I could hear it when the EBPV was closed and it was at high idle. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. The noise was most apparent from the Pass wheel well. I pulled and cleaned the EBPS sensor and tube last night, hoping that I would find a leak in the tube, but it was in perfect shape. I crawled around under the truck and under the hood with a trouble light and couldn't find any soot that would indicate the leak. The up pipes look good, the turbo looks good. Any ideas?
check the doughnut gasket from the up-pipes to the turbo, it's a common issue on the 7.3s. depending where it's defaulted you may or may not be able to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Old 04-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Look for soot on the firewall, behind the turbo.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
ditch_dawg
Genius, when I drink
Member's Gallery

Check to see that all of your bolts that attach the exhaust housing on the turbo are all still there. I lost 2 out of the 4 and it made for a pretty good leak.

Truck Pics

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
blip the throttle, and you just changed your "HPOP" oil

put that on youtube
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Ron's power stroke
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
Member's Gallery

finish reading before posting...
Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 PM
ditch_dawg
Genius, when I drink
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron's power stroke View Post
finish reading before posting...
Just sayin.....didn't have a whole lot of soot on the exhaust housing except right where it 'pilots' on to the center section. At a quick glance it could easily be missed.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Ron's power stroke
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch_dawg View Post
Just sayin.....didn't have a whole lot of soot on the exhaust housing except right where it 'pilots' on to the center section. At a quick glance it could easily be missed.
me bad...had nothing to do with you....i should have worded my post better...i posted the EBPS tube then relized after re-reading his post he already checked it...

sorry for the confusion...
Old 04-08-2011, 10:51 PM
CHevDog1
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I'll try looking closer at the exhaust housing on the turbo this weekend. There is no soot on the firewall.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 PM
ditch_dawg
Genius, when I drink
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron's power stroke View Post
me bad...had nothing to do with you....i should have worded my post better...i posted the EBPS tube then relized after re-reading his post he already checked it...

sorry for the confusion...
No problem!!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:07 AM
shoaboat
crossingdelmar.com
Member's Gallery

That's the funniest avitar I have ever seen! Brought tears to my eyes. Nice work ditch dawg!
1999.5 PSD F350 Crew Dually 2WD, ZF6, 3:54 Dana 80 conversion,Swamps Tunes,H2e,Hypermax Upipes,Swamps Single Shots,6637 Intake,4in Exhaust,Glowshift Gauges,ScanGauge II X units, Ford AIC idle unit, 270 alt,big stereo....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 65
4duggan, 93 idi 2WD, Arisley, bigfords, BigRed97, BigRedNewfie, birdog, boostaddict, bosssuperduty, brooksbronco17, brute_mt, bryan.d, Bushwakd, camochris, CHevDog1, chief055, cj45lc, deathwishracer, ditch_dawg, DocBar, DoubleL, doubleshot, Effreem, fergus, FordCowboy, ihasfip, jeremiahmercier, jeromejcp, Joedog, jonboy84, Jordy53, jtbowen31, Kampy, kilapapipa, KingOfour, KPSquared, Kyle_KleinSS, lincolnlocker, markyt, mbg75, milehighstroker, mleg1972, mprobst, mstadler13, n20, njjeep, otis_301, protraxrptr17, Rambler, rat49f6, Ron's power stroke, RYan Gortney, shinsho, shoaboat, simpleman, smokinstroker92, stlhdfishr, stroke32, Stroker f-250, tekemp, thompson238, tree trimmer, TxFire, white7.3