Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

CP3 update

14K views 128 replies 29 participants last post by  Dzchey21 
#1 ·
So its been awhile, and i have been getting some PM's about the CP3 set up, and how its working or not working.

As of right now it has not been working, I purchased a used pump and it was swapped out, never worked, tried another pump didnt work, tried the third pump and it didnt work either.

I tested fuel pressure a couple months ago with a digital pressure gauge, thought i was reading 12 psi of fuel pressure pretty much all the time, so i ruled out the low pressure side
Swapped out to another pump tonight and still no luck, got a real mechanical gauge and come to find out the sytem was under a vacuum the whole time... FML im an idiot, So anyway i think its the frame rail pump but im going to by pass it tomorrow and see what happens. But im betting that the air dog by itself wont keep up.

#2 ·
I would totally agree with your assumption thus far. I had no idea you were running the airdog.

Switch that thing out for the Elite LPFS and see what happens. Im guessing you'll be ok at that point.

#3 ·
Mine is piggy backed with the stock ford system, and so far (what i thought) it was maintaining just fine. When the ford pump is actually running... it seams to be ok, but the frame pump seams to not be doing its job, so im going to by pass it, If that doesnt work, then its an elite system

#5 ·
Damn Dustin I feel for ya. I hope for your sanities sake it wasn't the low pressure system the whole time.

#6 ·
Damn Dustin I feel for ya. I hope for your sanities sake it wasn't the Air Dog the whole time.
I hope it is to be honest, at least i will be making progress, As a side note i can change the CP3 really fast LOL

I havent posted much because i hadnt made any progress, i've been dilegently working on it, with no luck, and all because i didnt use a good mechanical guage, i should know better but hey live and learn i guess.

#8 ·
Buddy thinks it will, Tadd says it wont keep up with a modded elite pump, so I honestly dont know, I have a different set up with a distribution block under the hood, im going to pump right into that tomorrow and see what happens, If anything ill probably end up running an airdog 200

Does the air dog 165 come with a way to cap off the factory frame filter?

#10 ·
Ive been told that airdog makes a 250gph pump? i think fass does to.. might save a little money over the elite setup..

#14 ·
Cool good to know, i got the stuff to by-pass the frame pump, there is also a possibility there could be bad air dog filters, there not that old but i forgot my truck gelled up awhile back so there could be wax in the filters still.

#15 ·
Thats good news to here the airdogs can keep up! if some reason your looking for even more gph I know that fass makes a 260gph pump for the duramax..im sure it could easily be made to work on your truck

#18 ·
Well so far so good. I bypassed the frame pump and nowbits maintaining 7psi all the time and now a tune that would only maintain 20k is now maintaining 24k all the way to 4000 rpm... im gunna go load an innovative Xtreme race and see how it likes it

#20 ·
doubt it, still need to make traction bar mounts and some other stuff probably next weekend

I did take it out for a test drive, got in it good once, shifted and either the trans slipped or the tires were spinning but it pulled hard then acted like the trans slipped defueled, came back to life, and then POP.......

looked down engine was still running, but it was silent, like ultra silent.....couldnt figure it out

Belt broke, no power steering no water pump no brakes lol limped it home
gunna put a new belt on it tomorrow and see how it likes it

I did flog it once with the big tune and no belt for the cp3 and it drained the rails to like 17k instantly so i know its working now.

Sure would be nice to get a full run out of this thing :hehe:

Guess we will see what tomorrow brings.

#26 ·
Glad you are getting the issues worked out. Hopefully you get it all squared away soon. Good luck.

#30 ·
Damn, that is just not right. True; but not right. LOL Glad to hear you got it out on the road, I think I would have been broken something by now. :mad: Still gonna look for a different pulley or see how she reacts to fuel first?

#29 ·
Hahaha.

#33 ·
Sounds like the CP3 might have screwed with things, hopefully your idler bearing didn't get fouled up from it. Just squirt WD40 on it, it cures all.

#40 ·
It is always great when new parts squeak.

#42 ·
yeah it was from what i could tell, im going to try and get the belt on tonight and go for a pull that doesnt require shifting before i try that again, not sure if the trans needed to relearn or what but first and formost i would like to see if the cp3 is doing its job 110s and 2.25 ms of PW should be a good test for it i think...

#44 ·
My guess is no, I think a tadd less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.