Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Installed a 6" lift, now have a howling noise

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  chappy 
#1 ·
I just got done installing a 6" lift on my truck and took it out yesterday for a ride and it is making a howling noise, like I have a bad wheel bearing. The noise is coming from the back of the truck, and I know it wasn't there before I put the lift on. I'm thinking it has something to do with the lift and not a wheel bearing since it just started making this noise. I didn't shim the carrier bearing yet, could that be making the noise? Or maybe a u-joint? Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Sounds like a possible bad carrier bearing. Since you didn't shim it,it added a little more angle to it and now the noise is showing up. Vibration at high speeds 75mph and up can be a symptom and squecking while moving. Could be a bad cv joint at the front of the driveshaft as well but my moneys on the carrier bearing. Shim that thing when you change it and check all your ujoints when you pull it out and replace what is needed.

#5 ·
No,some have one in the rear as well so I wasn't sure if yours did.

#4 ·
Make sure you install a drop for the carrier bearing if you didn't already.

#6 ·
Easiest way is to go the the hardware store get some 4" long bolts that will thread into the stock carrier bracket nuts, find some 2 or 3" square or rectangle stock drill two holes & bolt it all together!!

Or buy a kit from any lift company, I just like to make as mush of my own stuff as possible, Im cheap.

#7 ·
Yeh I made my own but a lot of people don't have access to the supplies and tools so its easier to spend $45 and buy it. Carrier bearing drop that is. If I remember right a good rule of thumb is a 1/4in shim for every 2in of lift. I think thats how it was.

#8 ·
I thought it was 1/4" shim for every 1" of lift? I did make my own shim using 1" square tubing and some 1/8" steel. I have it shimmed about 1 1/4" there's no vibration, but the howling is still there. Hopefully I will get a chance to replace the bearing tomorrow.

#10 ·
Awesome,good to hear. It might be a 1/4in for every inch. Thats why I said if I remember right. I wasn't a 100% sure.Old age is making my memory not so good. Glad you got it figured out though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.