Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Dually Wheel Options

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  HotRodTractor 
#1 ·
Am I the only one on the planet that wants to put 18" wheels on a dually? I don't really care for putting semi tires on the truck and I like the load ratings and tire offerings in the 18" variety better than the 17" tires.

What are my options? BTW - the axles are '05 Ford with the 8x200 lug pattern.... quite possibly going under the Dmax as is to make a CCSB dually....

#3 ·
Stazworks will make you a dually wheel in any size you want, except an 18! I contacted them a while ago and he said they just to have enough interest in 18" wheels to make them

#4 ·
I know - its crazy too considering the load ratings available with 18" tires. As near as I can tell - 18" tires would give me great tire selection and great load ratings. I don't care for the tire selection available in the 17" flavor - I don't want to do semi tires because I need a more agressive tread in the winter and in the mud around the farm - some powder coated steel 18s or some "cheap" chinese aluminum rims would suite me just fine.

Damn me and my desire to rock a 35" to 36" tire on a dually with a decent load rating and tread pattern.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has any.

#5 ·
I would love to have some 18s. I like they the way my wheels look now but I eventually want to step up to 38s and I'm not a big fan of that much tire on a 16" wheel.

#7 ·
I think tire selection and load ratings all suck in the 22" variety..... For instance - just glancing real quick for a tire available in several common sizes - the BFG A/T KO - popular tire, I've run many sets and liked them for the most part - If I choose a 22" tire around 35" OD in load range E - the load rating is 3305lbs and cost $660 each -If I choose the same basic tire in an 20" flavor the load rating is 3850lbs and a cost of $365 each.... I can burn a lot of rubber for that price difference.....

I'm pricing a set of custom made 20" steel wheels right now as I get the details ironed out.... I didn't find anyone willing to make an 18" dually rim. Maybe once I am done - I will end up on 22s..... who knows.... I need a dually more than I need a SRW truck for that 36' gooseneck I pull.

#9 ·
I totally agree that looks sweet! The problem is I am installing these axles under my Dmax - and to clear 37s on a Dmax requires at least 6" of lift - I need to keep the lift to a minimum for DD use and for trailering use. Essentially - I want to be a picky pain in the a$$ and if I am going to spend the money to do it - I am going to do it right. I'm using the Ford axles for the lift for a couple of reason - one I have them - two someone has developed a very sweet custom 4 link front suspesnion kit using this front axle. I've kicked around the idea of making the Dmax a short box dually for a long while - since I am changing the front axle - its time to pull the trigger and just install the matching rear that I have.

And the bonus to all of this - I have an extended cab 05 frame and suspension to use under the 79 project truck - using another '07 front axle I already have and a SRW 11.5AAM rear axle that will be perfect for a high powered play truck.

#10 ·
Wish I had the room you had. I have had to pass up a couple of rolling suspensions. I personally would like to throw an old Apache, like a '53 or so on a Superduty Chassis. I think that would be a really sweet truck. Or an old, like '50 or so Dodge.

#11 ·
How many of those old 50's Dodges do you want? LOL I have 2 complete trucks and the remains of 3 more that I have parted out in the last several years. Hell I daily drove a '53 Dodge 1/2 ton back in high school and I am not that old! In fact I know where there is one sitting on a 1 ton Dodge chassis with a 12 valve in it right now - its not drivable yet, but its got a ton of potential.

Its one of the many benefits of having 275 acres with several large buildings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.