Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

rear diff fill plug problems

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  TBarrsTruck 
#1 ·
I cant get the plug out of my rear diff. I started out with just half inch ratchet and it started to round the edges so I had a 3in extension that I deamed replaceable and beat it in and it also started to round out. So does anyone know of any tool out there that will bite a little better?

#3 ·
I just did this last Thursday and I stuck a 3/8 inchx3inch extension in there on a 3/8" breaker bar and spun it right out.

I thought mine was a 1/2 too but it was NOT.

If yours is different but it wont work you could weld a nut to it and then use a socket to get it out. Or tack the extension to the plug. I dont recommend that last one but if it works....

#4 ·
did you clean all the crap out of the hole first? You can weld a nut or an impact extension to it and replace it if you want. OR you could try an old style 3/8" hammer impact (that you actually hit with a hammer) they work really well for getting stuck drain plugs of all kinds out (think late model chevy tranny drain plugs) since they are forced down and twist simataniously

#6 ·
probably, seems like they are from what I've known but I haven't ever held them side by side.

#7 ·
I dont know. If a 1/2" ratchet/extension fits in there then they dont have the same size hole in the middle. Mine was a 3/8. Of this I am sure.

Whatever yours takes. It doesnt matter if they're the same size or not. One or the other has to fit it. Just a matter of getting it out. Try heating it or running the truck first to heat up the rear diff. Good luck!

#8 ·
Its been a while since I worked on it so it may have been a 3/8. I have heard that there is something like an easy out that works on square hole plugs and I didn't know if anyone knew of where I could find one or if anyone had heard of something like that.

#9 ·
Ya they are all a 3/8" square. I know they make squar extractors but don't wast your time, it'll snap and then your more f'd. Look at a hammer type impact, they are pretty inexpensive and really handy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.