Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0L NO-Start HOT

23K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  BIGFERD18 
#1 ·
Have an 04 Excursion with an 05 6.0L in it with 70 horse injectors, studded, 6.4L banjo bolts, Air Dog II. The truck runs great but after driving it and getting it to operating temp the truck just cranks won't fire. Give it a shot of starting fluid and it fires up. ICP pressure goes to 2000 psi when cranking @ no start condition which is way too high for cranking PSI obviously it is a fuel problem any ideas???????

#3 ·
The one thing i do now is starting fluid and glow plugs do not mix you may take the top off that motor:badidea:
2 stroker:fordoval:

#6 ·
Sounds to be a high pressure leak, if its warm and has long cranks. Im gonna say your o-rings in your stand pipes n dummy plugs in the oil rails probably gone bad. Start there, dont use starting fuild bad idea.

#9 ·
But that doesn't explain the 2000psi oil pressure after 1 second of cranking. if there were a leak in the HPO system I would think that it wouldn't build pressure. But that is just a thought. and new o rings were installed when HPOP was reinstalled.

#15 ·
Exactly I was talking to a guy who worked for ford for years he said that there must be no fuel there to squeeze so that is why pressure goes so high I have to check some of the readings tomorrow to see where the lack of fuel is. If there is a lack

#19 ·
Try unplugging the ICP sensor during the issue. If it is a biased sensor telling the PCM there is way more pressure than there should be.......It might not be closing the IPR enough to build the real pressure needed.....

I have NEVER seen 2000 PSI of ICP cranking.......I dont even know if its possible ( i will check it out tomarrow at work if i get a chance though......)

Generally speaking......Its a leak in the high pressure oil system when a truck wont start hot. The thin oil makes it so that the HPOP cant overcome the leak. Once you get them started the engine RPM makes it possible for the pump to function with little to no noticable issues.

The most common leak points are......

#1 Quick connect fitting on the HPOP

#1 (just as common) Dummy plugs on the front of the oil rails

#2 Stuck/weak/damaged IPR valve (and usually your pump isnt far behind because the debris in the valve came from the pump)

#3 Internally bad HPOP

#4 The o ring at the top of the injector being blown out after the snap ring and ceramic plate that hold it in place breaks.

#20 ·
Installed updated HPOP fitting, has new d plugs and stand pipes, and has new injectors in it. Also has new air dog II fuel pump and replaced regulator

#22 ·
Seems to me your fuel pump is takin a crap. Making pressure on start up, than once it runs for a while, its not putting out the needed pressure. As far as the High HPOP pressure, seems your ICP may be making up numbers? try unplugging and cranking? Check your FMIC voltage when its hot too. Its normally checked with the engine cool, but engine heat may be breaking it down once its been running. Keep us updated on your progress.

#26 ·
Ok I have an update, looks like the ICP @ cranking speed went from the previous 2000psi now to 332psi so looks like time to air up the HP oil sysytem.
Thanks for all the ideas I will see what happens

#29 ·
Or just the same old common leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.